• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finally - photo of Sunshine Daydream (the baby hare) SEE POST 5 Larger image!!!

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Here he is about 2.5 weeks old having his daily weigh in.

:love::love::love:

file-120.jpg

(sorry its so small photobucket appears to have undergone some strange transformation and it was as much as I could do to get it to transfer an image at all!!!)

Can someone else make it bigger??????

UPDATE See POst 5 for larger image - Thank you Kermit!!!

Last edited:
He is lovely I'm so glad to hear he is doing well! A big credit to you :love:

did you raise and release? how old was s/he when you released?
I know this isn't addressed to me, But I believe Mairwen is releasing the Hare she has raised. Not sure if that is still the case now though

did you raise and release? how old was s/he when you released?

Sadly I was only 11 and we didn't do it "properly", he began to see me as his mum and followed me everywhere. He used to get really stressed if he couldn't see/hear me. When he was bigger we did manage to move him out into the garden in a hutch/large run sort of set up, but one morning I went out and he was dead :( We think something must have frightened him because healthwise he was totally fine.

Sadly I was only 11 and we didn't do it "properly", he began to see me as his mum and followed me everywhere. He used to get really stressed if he couldn't see/hear me. When he was bigger we did manage to move him out into the garden in a hutch/large run sort of set up, but one morning I went out and he was dead :( We think something must have frightened him because healthwise he was totally fine.

I am so sorry to hear that -

hares appear quite tricky with the balance between getting them unstressed enough to take a hand feed from a human but retaining enough wildness so they can be released.

he has been brought up in a spare room free ranging since day 1 (when he was about 3 days old) At present we are trying him in a run outside for short periods in the day but he will not come out of the corner of the hutch/run combination and does not seem to enjoy it at all - we were told that he would take to it as it is natural for them but he really hasnt yet. He is almost entirely nocturnal (1am until 6am!) and just leaps around his room at night (he free ranges in a spare bedroom). However he is starting to take an interest in the door so we may see what happens if we open the door and let him explore another room in the night - will he go back to the original room as his 'base'? and if so can we then progress to larger areas? and then perhaps the outside world?

He is sooo adorable :love:

Incidentally did you see Countryfile last Sunday. They showed a clip of an island somewhere around Orford Ness that is inhabited by Hares, and as there are no predators on the island, they were just casually relaxing & chilling amongst the gorse bushes. The camera crew were able to get really close without them running away.

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear that -

hares appear quite tricky with the balance between getting them unstressed enough to take a hand feed from a human but retaining enough wildness so they can be released.

he has been brought up in a spare room free ranging since day 1 (when he was about 3 days old) At present we are trying him in a run outside for short periods in the day but he will not come out of the corner of the hutch/run combination and does not seem to enjoy it at all - we were told that he would take to it as it is natural for them but he really hasnt yet. He is almost entirely nocturnal (1am until 6am!) and just leaps around his room at night (he free ranges in a spare bedroom). However he is starting to take an interest in the door so we may see what happens if we open the door and let him explore another room in the night - will he go back to the original room as his 'base'? and if so can we then progress to larger areas? and then perhaps the outside world?

We found that Pads was happy to roam around outside/in other rooms of the house but ALWAYS went back to my bedroom as his 'base', it was probably a comfort/security thing. I'd say that once he's a few weeks older and maybe more confident, he'd be perfectly happy to explore larger areas and outside etc. Then again maybe Paddy was just a bit of a weirdo, because he wasn't really nocturnal, he never seemed to sleep unless I cuddled him! :lol:

Back