• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need some help RE: Bunnies moving house!

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
Some of you will probably know that I'm at uni at the moment and I live in halls, and the rabbits stayed at home with my family whilst I was in first year. As of September though I'm moving into a house with 3 of my friends, and the landlady has said she's fine with us having pets (in fact she was thrilled when I said I had rabbits :lol:) so I'm planning on moving the bunnies in with me.

Their setups at home are getting old and tatty now and need to be redone, so this seems like the best time to sort out new housing. My problem is where to put them! The house does have a garden, but it's by the front door of the house. It's difficult to explain but the front door is actually at the BACK of the house, and as far as I can tell the only people who would know the buns were there would be us and the postman.

It's not in a student area, it's in a quiet village away from the uni, but we are near a country pub and something about having the rabbits in the "front garden" makes me feel uneasy, even though it's at the back of the house. So do I have them inside? It's so confusing :lol:

And then there's the issue of Nahla hating other rabbits, so Cupcake and Pud would have to be quite separate from her... I'm considering leaving her here at first until everything's sorted, because I don't want to stress her out.

What a faff :lol:

Last edited:
I don't know about the outdoor issue but could Nahla become a house bunny?

Yeah she possibly could, she's not destructive at all and she's litter trained, she might like it. She's very nervy though so I'm just worried about a big move upsetting her. She'd be the best suited to being a housebunny out of all three though!

Are the boys bonded?

I would...bond them and get a decent shed with a few big locks on and put in the garden (no one need know it's not just a shed-shed). You could then sit with them for free-range time. And then bunny-proof your room for Nahla.

:wave:

Is the garden fenced? I think it would bother me more if there wasn't a fence around it bit tricky too if one decided to slip past you for a bit of exercise. Two out and one in would solve keeping them separate. How much room do you have inside. Maybe you could start off with one inside and leave the other two at hm as they have each others company and then see what the areas like when you've lived there a bit and make a decision on inside/out.

Are the boys bonded?

I would...bond them and get a decent shed with a few big locks on and put in the garden (no one need know it's not just a shed-shed). You could then sit with them for free-range time. And then bunny-proof your room for Nahla.

:wave:

Cupcake and Pud are being bonded very soon :D They're both extremely laid back and Cupcake has always been a breeze to bond, so fingers crossed it goes smoothly.

I don't think there's room for a shed :( I might have to have a chat with the land lady and see how big she'd let me go with their set up.

Is the garden fenced? I think it would bother me more if there wasn't a fence around it bit tricky too if one decided to slip past you for a bit of exercise. Two out and one in would solve keeping them separate. How much room do you have inside. Maybe you could start off with one inside and leave the other two at hm as they have each others company and then see what the areas like when you've lived there a bit and make a decision on inside/out.

It's part hedge, part fence as far as I can remember.

Yeah that's a good idea. My room is 20ftx20ft (huge, I know!) so technically I'd have room for them all, but if Cupcake and Pud were inside I may as well say bye bye to my deposit right now :lol:

I am in a rented house and have four of my rabbits inside. They have not destroyed anything (apart from cardboard boxes, apple twigs, newspaper, etc). If you put puppy panels round the walls to keep them off the skirting boards and put cardboard over any carpet (or lino) and your own rugs on top.... 20 by 20 sounds great. WISH I had a big room so all my lovelies could be indoors... Living there for a bit to get a feel of what the area is like before putting rabbits outside sounds like a good one too. Good luck. Your rabbits look soooo adorable :wave:

Could you possibly take some buns to your house and maybe let you family look after the single??

Just my opinion but I think if I were choosing between taking a pair or a single with me I'd take the single as a house bunny, because a pair of bunnies don't need as much human attention as a single rabbit and I know from personal experience that bunnies get to spend more time with humans when their owners are students than when they're working adults!

Just my opinion but I think if I were choosing between taking a pair or a single with me I'd take the single as a house bunny, because a pair of bunnies don't need as much human attention as a single rabbit and I know from personal experience that bunnies get to spend more time with humans when their owners are students than when they're working adults!

Nahla hates human and animal interaction so this doesn't really apply to her, but normally I would agree with you 100%. If any of them will be inside it will definitely be her anyway though, because she's not destructive at all and she's lovely as long as you don't try and approach her :lol:

I am in a rented house and have four of my rabbits inside. They have not destroyed anything (apart from cardboard boxes, apple twigs, newspaper, etc). If you put puppy panels round the walls to keep them off the skirting boards and put cardboard over any carpet (or lino) and your own rugs on top.... 20 by 20 sounds great. WISH I had a big room so all my lovelies could be indoors... Living there for a bit to get a feel of what the area is like before putting rabbits outside sounds like a good one too. Good luck. Your rabbits look soooo adorable :wave:

As lovely as that sounds, they'd definitely still find a way to destroy everything :lol: The only way to ensure that they'd behave is to confine them, which I really don't want to do.

I'm starting to wonder if they'd be better at home :( I just miss them so much when I'm away and hate not being able to look after them myself.

Back