• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed ASAP

Hi there,

My name is Julie and I'm currently the owner of 2 year old dwarf lops.. Both male and lovely but we have a problem.

We got our bots (mr tumble and Charlie bear) a few weeks after we lost our other rabbit rainbow knowing now that we should of waited a while as his death was still a little raw, anyway we got the boys from a local pet shop and all was well to start off with. 2 years on and they are not pleasant rabbits. Charlie bear has been neutered but mr tumble hasn't as he is such a feisty boy I'm worried that trying to catch him and the whole procedure would be enough to kill him..

With heavy hearts we've decided as a family that we would be best to rehome them. Not for us but for e rabbits themselves. Our children (9+4) will no doubt be upset but they don't spend anytime with the rabbits as they aren't pleasant.

I'm really after people's opinions on what to do from here as we really want to give them the best possible chance after leaving here..

Any advice welcome

Julie

Hello :wave: I think you need to neuter the intact one. Mr Tumble is probably so feisty because of his hormones. Neutering would give them a better chance of a home and your vet should have advised you to neuter both as intact rabbits are often aggressive. You may find that 2 months after neutering he is a much more pleasant rabbit.
Do they have sufficient space (i.e.at least 6 feet x 2 feet x 2 feet with an attached run). If not this may also help with behaviour and therefore give you the best chance of rehoming them if you do not wish to keep them.
I would also advise that you avoid free-ads etc. and if possible try and get a local rescue to help you find a home for them. They may help with advertising etc. and effectively "add them to their books" whilst you keep them and wait for a home.

I agree with the previous post, I have just inherited a rabbit he was neutered just 10 days ago and hasn't bitten me for the last 3 days :thumb: it really can make a massive difference. As for rehoming I don't have much advice, maybe post a photo? Good luck xx

I agree I would neuter Mr Tumble as this should make him calm down a bit and be more desirable to new owners. I would insist on a "fee" from the new owners, and do a home check just to weed out anyone who might want them for snake/dog food or anyone who can't actually afford to pay for their upkeep (if they say they can't afford an adoption fee then they can't afford pets!) as we sadly see that sort of thing when people offer their animals "free to good home" especially with dogs who then become bait for fighting dogs :(
You can advertise them here, and ask other rescues if they could prehaps rehome them via their websites but you keep them as if you were a foster carer so there won't be any extra costs for the rescue :)
All the best :wave:

Hi,

As everyone says, the buns have a much better chance of a good home if they're both neutered, so Mr Tumble really does need to be done.

I appreciate your concerns about handling him though. There are so many people on this forum who have hard to handle bunnies though so please hang around and ask for their tips, I'm sure we can find a way that you can get Mr Tumble to the vet with your arms and hands in one piece! There's always a way!

You never know, once he's done you may find he calms down enough for you to discover a whole new bunny and find a way to keep him and Bear. If not, then you're in the right place for advice on how to re-home.

So, I think my advice would be your best bet is to work out a way for us all to help you find a way to get Mr Tumble seen to as a matter of urgency, give him a few weeks to see if he calms down and then work out a plan from there. If they do need rehoming, you've made them much more rehomable, and you may even have given them a second chance of a life with you.

The other thing that could help in the mean time, as someone else asked, is quickly checking how much space the buns have?

Back