• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Sweep please?

catherine09

Mama Doe
Rushed to emergency vet this afternoon as he was refusing food and hunched in a corner

Once we arrived at vets it became apparant that he was very wobbly on his feet, kept falling over etc

Vet suspects EC so he has panacur, and also had metacam and metaclop

He is now with Hettie in an indoor cage in the front room, he's eaten some broccoli and nibbled some hay so less concerned about him not eating for the moment

Poor little boy

How is Sweep doing? I'm not working tomorrow so apart from meeting a friend at 1.30 pm for a couple of hours I am free if you need someone to pop in and check on him and/or medicate him?

How is Sweep doing? I'm not working tomorrow so apart from meeting a friend at 1.30 pm for a couple of hours I am free if you need someone to pop in and check on him and/or medicate him?

Hello, I was thinking of ringing you tonight to see whether you might do so - to be honest he is eating quite well tonight but still isn't moving around much, everytime he tries to move he seems to fall over so I think he is a bit scared to move incase he does fall

I think as long as he keeps eating, he should be ok tomorrow. I'm at college instead of work so will be back earlier anyway. I think he will be wobbly for a while until the panacur starts to take effect anyway bless him.

If I'm not happy with how much he is eating ill give you a ring/text tonight or in the morning

Poor boy :cry:

Did the Vet check in both his ears ?

Hi - yes he did. I specifically asked if he thought it may be a ear infection and he said that he really didn't think so, usually you would see a build up of wax and his ears were clean.

Obviously if the panacur doesn't work ill be going down that route with my own vet, the one I saw today was a vets now vet (although he was much better than I expected!)

Just as I type Sweep has hopped out of the litter tray for the first time (to get him out previously I had to lift him) and gone to drink some water and eat some readigrass. Very wobbly still though :(

Aaaw bless his tiny paws. Just text me if you would like me to pop over and let me know where a key is (as breaking and entering is not one of my skills:))

Tues I'm busy but Wed I'm working in Hythe until 1.30 pm so could call in on my way home if Sweep is still poorly. Thurs I am free all day and Fri in and out so both days I could visit if you needed me to.

He had 5 or so science selective pellets, then refused any more. Rightly or wrongly I syringe fed him some critical care as he really hasn't eaten a huge amount and a bit got in him, but he won't eat more pellets now.

Ill try him with some fresh stuff in a bit, he hasn't refused broccoli at all yet but I can't just feed him that all the time!

Eta: we've had a couple of small poos as well

Back