• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tree identification help please

JackieS

Warren Scout
DH and I were doing some gardening today and decided we want to make a contained (supervised) bunny play zone in our garden where they can dig etc - this is the space we're thinking of (with picket fencing round the edges which would prevent access to ivy which annoyingly grows through from next door grrrr)

However just to the right of this plot it is a tree that a) has horribly prickly branches and b) leaves that fall all year round

Just wanted to check if it was something they couldn't have access to.........we're not in the position to remove the tree just yet (although will do eventually) so our plans may have to wait if they can't

thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,

Its a pyrocantha tree.

Never seen on that big though! Its huge!!

My busk will have a nibble on ours if he can sneak past me.

We once had a bunny when I was little and it ate a whole pyrocantha bush to a stump...and it grew back practically over night and bunny had no ill-effects.

Hope this helps.

Rach

:)

Hi,

Its a pyrocantha tree.

Never seen on that big though! Its huge!!

My busk will have a nibble on ours if he can sneak past me.

We once had a bunny when I was little and it ate a whole pyrocantha bush to a stump...and it grew back practically over night and bunny had no ill-effects.

Hope this helps.

Rach

:)

Thank you -I can take no praise for the height of the tree as was already here when we moved in! Its a horrible tree! So prickly!

Interesting you say no ill effects as a google suggests that it is on the toxic list for bunnies

Hi,

I know its supposed to be bad for buns. But my house-bun Rolo ALWAYS makes a bee-line for our pyrocanta bushes the second hes let into the garden to play. He has a whole lawn and a herb bed to nom on, but he just loves the bark on it!

I shoo him away and distract him, but I know he's waiting to go back to it the second turn my back is turned!

Our bun from when I was younger ate one in my parents garden till it was nothing but a dried out stump!! And it grew back. And Buttons never had any upset tum or anything from eating it. And he lived till he was 10 and a half!

It must taste really good!

Its natures barbed wire. Stops peeps getting into the garden.

Rach :)

i have firethorn trees, as they're also called, and i like em because they make tasty fruit (to me) and look pretty when they're covered in berries and wildlife love them. i'm also impressed at the size!

They are great for birds (berrys in autumn) and bees (covered in flowers) but then are a pain when it comes to pruning. If you wanted you could chop it right back so it was smaller and it would grow back okay. For the bunnies, I'd just pop a bit of mesh around the trunk and watch in autumn that the birds ate the berries before the fall.

They are great for birds (berrys in autumn) and bees (covered in flowers) but then are a pain when it comes to pruning. If you wanted you could chop it right back so it was smaller and it would grow back okay. For the bunnies, I'd just pop a bit of mesh around the trunk and watch in autumn that the birds ate the berries before the fall.

the trunk it actually outside the area that will be fenced out, so it was the leaves/berrys I was mostly worried about :)

Yes pruning it is a nightmare! I have some heavy duty gloves but still get stabbed!

On the plus side, the tree should offer some shelter from sun / rain / wind. It may also discourage cats from jumping over that bit of fence and bothering your bunnies.

Back