• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Matted fur

Solarwind

Young Bun
Hi

I would be grateful please for some advice concerning my rabbit. She has a blocked tear duct which because of her advanced age ( About nine years ) she cannot have it flushed out because of the increased risk of the anaesthetic. She has recently had eye drops for an eye infection which has cleared up. However discharge from her eye is causing the fur under her eye to become very matted. Also some fur has fallen out near her eye and not grown back, the matted fur is lower down . I was told to wipe round her eye with warm water every other day. The problem is this does nothing to remove the matting even though I bathe this area twice each day. Any suggestions how I can get rid of the matting and prevent discharge from her eye clogging up her fur. Our vet doesn't seem to take a lot of notice of this but I am worried in case it is pulling on her skin or coursing discomfort of any sort. This morning her fur was thickly encrusted with discharge which has solidified. Warm water helped a bit to loosen it but her fur is still very matted.

She also has a respiratory infection that is proving difficult to cure and she is presently on antibiotics. So she is having a rough time, so any advice will be much appreciated thank you

Back