• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I draw your attention to this twitter user

fiona0529

Alpha Buck
@stuffonmyrabbit.

They take pictures of a bunny with all sorts of random stuff on its head. It had a rubicks cube on its head in one pic. If you look in the background, you can see the tiny indoor cage it is kept in with no newspaper down or visible hay. In one pic, there is a big puddle of liquid on the cage floor. I feel so sorry for this wee thing :(

i read about that on the daily mail. made me sad. poor thing needs a bigger cage/better living environment, a friend and not to have random things put on his head. :evil:

what made it worse was some people didn't see the problem with the cage, saying it would be fine if it was just overnight. :shock::evil:

That's terrible! Ignorant people not understanding the needs of rabbits yet again.

i think there were only a few comments below the article with people saying that it's wrong and pointing out the cage was too small etc, but a few others said the cage was fine for overnight, and most unfortunately didn't even see a problem. :(

such a cute little bun aswell :love: but to me looked like a bun who needs company. he has a look to his eyes doesn't he. :(

I've seen that and thought about this too, but then I thought at least the cage door is open in all the pics? Meaning the bun isn't shut in? Or is that just really naive of me....:( (haven't seen the pic with the puddle of wee/whatever it is though)

Seemed cruel to me.

I can understand maybe you might once put something light and cute on your pet if you weren't distressing it and you knew you weren't. (I honestly think a pet owner knows that best, so for example if I gently put a hair slide balanced on Ludo to take a cute photo, not that I have, but that's an example). But why would anyone want to balance an army knife (or similar) on their pet's head? Or a colinder (sp?).? Every day!

Some people shouldn't have pets. Is this in the UK?

ETA: Ludo is a single bun, he doesn't have a sad look in his eyes! But singles do need a lot of stimulation and that one doesn't seem to have it :(

I have just looked at this and thought it was absolutely disgusting. I've sent the person a tweet asking them to let me have the bunny as they obviously dislike it so much, humiliating it in this way.

I have just looked at this and thought it was absolutely disgusting. I've sent the person a tweet asking them to let me have the bunny as they obviously dislike it so much, humiliating it in this way.

you cant tackle things in that way....

you need to be diplomatic

Tell her why what she is doing is wrong how she can improve the bunnies life etc...

:shock: well yes, she's definitely going to hand it over to you :roll:

Seemed cruel to me.

I can understand maybe you might once put something light and cute on your pet if you weren't distressing it and you knew you weren't. (I honestly think a pet owner knows that best, so for example if I gently put a hair slide balanced on Ludo to take a cute photo, not that I have, but that's an example). But why would anyone want to balance an army knife (or similar) on their pet's head? Or a colinder (sp?).? Every day!

Some people shouldn't have pets. Is this in the UK?

ETA: Ludo is a single bun, he doesn't have a sad look in his eyes! But singles do need a lot of stimulation and that one doesn't seem to have it :(

I think it's the US. He has a dollar bill on his head in one of the pics.

I don't think we can tell he isn't happy from a few pictures. Personally, I don't see the problem with the light stuff on his head. I know mine wouldn't stick around for that, he's obviously very laid back and not too fussed. The heavy or edible things are a no-no though. And yes, his cage is a bit of a sorry state, but again, it's just a picture, he could very well have a big bunch of hay on the other side of the room.

I don't think we can tell he isn't happy from a few pictures. Personally, I don't see the problem with the light stuff on his head. I know mine wouldn't stick around for that, he's obviously very laid back and not too fussed. The heavy or edible things are a no-no though. And yes, his cage is a bit of a sorry state, but again, it's just a picture, he could very well have a big bunch of hay on the other side of the room.

Yeah, some of the stuff looks too heavy and dangerous, that's my problem with it too... :(

Yeah, some of the stuff looks too heavy and dangerous, that's my problem with it too... :(

Yeah. I doubt it's coming from a place of abuse, the owner is perhaps just a bit oblivious.

There's a similar page on Twitter, a Dutch lady who takes her rabbit on buses, trains, planes and out to wooded areas and lakes. That's awful.

I have a feeling they'd just block negative comments. Best to just not look if it upsets you, I think.

This story had been made aware to me too. I dont think the owner is trying to be cruel, more that she clearly sees it as being funny and is in obvious denial that it is actually being unfair to treat any living being like a circus act!
I dont see a problem as such with light things from a health point of view but I do think she could be causing possible spinal damage by continualy balancing heavy or awkward things on his head.
The cage is undoubtibly too small! When we rescued Jims he was in a cage that size too and we couldnt wait to get him out of it! But at the time couldnt afford to so made sure he had free range almost all day till we could provide him with better living accomadations.

Back