• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vetergesic

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Some people have mentioned how their Rabbits appear to be profoundly sedated when given Vetergesic as an analgesic during treatment for gut stasis. Whilst looking for something online I stumbled upon this information :

Drug Interactions
Metoclopramide may affect the absorption of other oral medications including cyclosporine and tetracyclines.
Cholinergic drugs such as bethanechol may increase the effect of metoclopramide on the GI system.
Metoclopramide may increase the CNS-depressant effects of phenothiazine tranquilizers, sedatives, narcotics, barbiturates, antihistamines and anesthetic agents.
Extrapyramidal effects of metoclopramide also may be increased with concurrent use of phenothiazine tranquilizers, narcotics and butyrophenones.
Acute hypotension may occur with IV use of metoclopramide and anesthetic drugs. Hypertension may occur with concurrent use of metoclopramide and MAO inhibitors.
Opiate analgesics, atropine and other anticholinergic drugs may antagonize any effects on GI motility

Taken from here

http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/learn...graphs/metoclopramide-for-veterinary-use.html

Last edited:
I can agree with that alright. Ludo fell asleep for about 3-4 hours solid, he was unaware of his surroundings and seemed cold and unresponsive, after having opiate painkillers. But they did contribute to the treatment that saved his life bless him. I'd have been concerned though if he were outdoors about him maintaining his body temperature!

I would agree with that. When Homer had it he was zonked out for hours and I was concerned about him not eating, he was that bad we asked the vet if we could try reducing the next dose or he would have been constantly asleep and not eating at all, it worked.

When Katy had statis really bad she was given some too and the same, zonked out for a few hours refusing any food but then at least when she did come round she would eat.

Back