• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Keeping teeth down

ljm-arnott

Young Bun
I took Lola to have her vaccinations yesterday and the vet did a good check over on her too. Ned also came and was a real menace but that's a different story! The vet noticed that although her teeth weren't dangerously long they were starting to get little hooks on them. She said to check back in 3 months. In the meantime, what can I do to wear her teeth away more? She's on burgess excel pellets, lots of hay, grass and some leafy greens. Is there anything else that I can do to stop them getting any worse? Quite worried about her.

Upping the hay eating will help as that's what wears their teeth the best. realistically this will mean cutting back on the otehr food rather than providing more hay but you have to do it carefully to ensure they're still eating.
The little hooks are called spurs and if they are starting to form then I would be inclined to have another check in 4 to 6 weeks rather than 3 months. Scarlet has been on "spur watch" for about 2 months as she had one that stopped her eating which she managed to break off, so her teeth have been checked every 2 to 3 weeks since then and she finally had a dental this week. She is a dental rabbit so has had a lot of work done on her teeth.
If there is any change at all in eating habits then go back to the vets immediately as it could be a sign that the spurs are starting to dig in and cause pain.
We also weigh Scarlet regularly so we can monitor her eating.

More hay, as RedFraggle said. Getting them to eat more can be done by cutting down the other foods. The grass is also good for teeth.

Replenishing hay regularly so it is fresh also helps, most buns prefer hay fresh from the bag, so add fresh hay at least once in the morning and once in the evening, more often if you can. Obviously hay should always be unlimited as well - personally I find that providing tonnes of hay helps, as they can pick out their favourite bits. And finding a hay your bun eats lots of is important as well - try different types to see what she prefers.

You want her to be eating a pile of hay the size of herself everyday, or more.

Brilliant advice, thank you. I knew that I could count on RU! I think I'll put an order in for a variety of hay and cut the pellets down. I'll also make sure I get her checked out again soon. Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

Best of luck. Mine are loving the grass now that its spring. She is a really sweet little fluffster. :wave:

Back