• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mission to find nebuliser accomplished

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
Furby's pasteurella is getting worst and he is really struggling to breathe. I have bid for a nebuliser on e-bay but he is so bad now that I decided to worry about my overdraft later and to just go and buy one.

I tried Boots but they didn't have one so I then tried a local independent chemist. The assistant went to fetch the pharmacist who was lovely. He had never heard of nebulising a rabbit. They did have nebulisers in stock. While he was explaining the options to me, the customer behind me stormed out saying 'a rabbit is clearly more important than a person!!'. The pharmacist said that I was a customer the same as anyone else!!

He was going to let me have a demonstrator model but it wasn't complete so he couldn't. By the time I left I had the pharmacist, two assistants and a couple of customers all very interested in Furby's illness and the fact I was going to nebulise him.

My vet doesn't have the medication for the nebuliser in stock so the pharmacist sold me some sterile salt water which he said would help clear Furby's airways.

The nebuliser was nearly £60. There were two prices on it but he let me have it for the cheaper as it is VAT exempt if I was using it for myself and I had already told him I do have asthma and had used a nebuliser in the past. He said it can be mine and I can lend it to Furby:)

I had to promise to go back and let him know how Furby does.

Am now sitting here trying to understand the instructions. Finding the version in English definitely helps.

Wish me luck!!!!

Thank you.

Well, I managed to work it out and Furby has had his first session. It is good he is deaf as the machine is quite noisy and I imagine it would freak out hearing buns.

I had hoped for an improvement but there wasn't any really, although Furby did seem to breathe easier while he had the mask on.

Will start another thread as I have no idea how long I should nebulise him for or how often and the instruction with the nebuliser are for humans, not bunnies:?

sometimes they can seem worse before better, as all the mucus loosens and moves down the nose.

do once or twice a day, depending on what you think he needs, and do at least 15mins a time. :wave:

Back