• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

would this work/be ok?

Bluesmum

Wise Old Thumper
Now that the weather is getting nicer, I'd like to start letting the buns outside for some sunshine and grass. I can't let them free range as there's lots of non bunny friendly plants....and a pond. I'd also like for them to have more space than the pens provide.

Usually I'd use my puppy pens, but at the moment I can't.

If I were to use stakes (bamboo or the like) and then netting around and use tent pegs to hold the bottom I could roll it up when it's not in use.

They're never unsupervised, if they're outside then so am I, so I'm not worried about predators.....I just don't want them getting out and eating things they shouldn't.

Depends on what sort of netting you were planning to use..if they can chew through, then it wouldn't work. I use the wire fencing on a roll (green plastic coated heavey duty metal), and did use 2ft high one to go around my lawn area to stop them getting to the plants (I have a lot of euphorbias) but Poppy could jump it. I realised she can jump about 4ft :shock: but as she is getting older I'm not so sure she would.

But..using the "fence on a roll" is a pain to put in place and roll back up. I tried bamboo sticks, metal poles and tent pegs...works well if your ground is even (buns do try to dig under it!!) so I ended up leaving mine in place all the time but it doesn't look great.

I must let you have your pens back - sorry:oops:

Once we take down the trio's pen panels I will have that one I can use for Banoffee-Pie and you could have that one back then. I need to buy some more of my own really. Just wish this lottery win would hurry up (I don't even do the lottery).

I am taking far longer to bond Frangipan and Hovis than I expected and don't want to start it while I am nursing Furby - partly due to not wanting to increase the chances of infection and partly because nursing Furby is stressful enough. I couldn't cope with bonding on top of that.

Maybe you could use the dog crates? I have the one at yours and another one here. Not sure if they could be joined together to make more space? Or I could use the biggest crate for bonding maybe and you could have the pen Fran is using back?

Really sorry Sam. Banoffee-Pie still isn't using the extra space - silly guinea-pig - but I will need it once I find him a friend (must PM Angie).

I must let you have your pens back - sorry:oops:

Once we take down the trio's pen panels I will have that one I can use for Banoffee-Pie and you could have that one back then. I need to buy some more of my own really. Just wish this lottery win would hurry up (I don't even do the lottery).

I am taking far longer to bond Frangipan and Hovis than I expected and don't want to start it while I am nursing Furby - partly due to not wanting to increase the chances of infection and partly because nursing Furby is stressful enough. I couldn't cope with bonding on top of that.

Maybe you could use the dog crates? I have the one at yours and another one here. Not sure if they could be joined together to make more space? Or I could use the biggest crate for bonding maybe and you could have the pen Fran is using back?

Really sorry Sam. Banoffee-Pie still isn't using the extra space - silly guinea-pig - but I will need it once I find him a friend (must PM Angie).

It's ok....it wasn't supposed to sound like I was cross :oops: its not a major issue tbh, hopefully we can get the hutch sorted on Monday. Will feel a lot better about the trios safety then too.

Have you tried putting BPs food in the 'outside' ?

Not sure how the crates would work....how would they get the grass?

It's ok....it wasn't supposed to sound like I was cross :oops: its not a major issue tbh, hopefully we can get the hutch sorted on Monday. Will feel a lot better about the trios safety then too.

Have you tried putting BPs food in the 'outside' ?

Not sure how the crates would work....how would they get the grass?

I tried putting BP on the outside and he stayed there until I put him back. He can't seem to realise that he can get out of his cage whenever he wants to now. I have put herbs out there and they just stayed there.

If you removed the trays from the bottom of the crates they could access the grass - but I guess they may get their feet caught then.

Back