• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When to force feed after spay?

Poppy didn't eat until we'd gone to sleep. I woke up at 3am to check on her and the bowl was half empty, she'd drank a decent amount and there were poos everywhere.

She's bound to be a bit 'ughhhh' for a while, just need some patience :)

Does she have metacam for the next few days?

I'd *personally* put a range of her favourite foods in, plenty of water and suspend some hay for her, then either go to sleep so you have the light off and it's quiet, or just leave her alone until you DO go to bed and make sure she is in the calmest and most relaxed environment as possible.

Is she pooing at all?

It's been 6 hours.

Not yet.

She'll still be quite dozy after her op - it is major surgery after all.

I picked my girls up at tea time after their spay and the vet said not to be concerned about not eating anything until the following morning. So going on that, you have a good few hours yet.

Leave her be with some of her favourite foods, including hay, obviously water, cover her hutch/cage whatever if she's indoors (which she should be even if she's an outdoor bunny normally) turn the light off and let her sleep it off.

Oh great thanks guys. She really seems like she just wants to sleep. She's got hay, water, pellets, grass, herbs, brambles etc so that's covered. I'll set my alarm for around 3 to check her.

She does have metacam and no she hasn't pooed.

Thank you :)

I was up with her at 3 and 5/6 and she had done some soft stools. I gave her a dose of Metacam and she ate a few blades of grass and one pellet. The latter of the soft stools were starting to look more formed and some were very normal looking. Oh and I also saw her eat cecals straight from her bum. She's now gone back to sleep and I wrapped a blanket around her as she's still a little bit cold. I tried to get some Fibreplex down her but she was having none of it lol. I'm going to go out later and get some more herbs and fresh grass. Any other suggestions as to what I should do?

She's now completely warmed up, grooming herself and generally seems a bit better. She's eaten some pellets, some dried apple treats, grass, dandelions leaves, mint, thyme and lots of basil. She would have eaten the whole bag of basil if I let her. She's also produced a decent amount of good poo and done two wees. She hasn't drank yet but she was on fluids nearly the whole day yesterday so maybe that's why? She's nibbled on hay but not had a good amount yet.

Glad she's on the mend! All those herbs have probably given her the moisture she needs which may explain not drinking :thumb:

Back