• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pasteurella health risk?

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
Hello all.I already have 2 bonded boy/girl pairs who are outdoor buns in shed/aviary set ups.I have been asked if i can take on a 6mnth indoor bun who has just recovered from a bout of pasteurella.He would have his own room with me.
Id love to have him,hes lovely but im worried about the pasteurella risk to my other buns.They would never meet or share anything and i know id have to take alot of hygiene precautions-suggestions of those would be very useful-but is it possible?
I wouldnt have him just yet as my bun Harry is recovering from an ear infection and i need to make sure hes ok first before taking on another bun.
If i dont have him he will be responsibly rehomed.

Many Rabbits can be asymptomatic carriers of Pasteurella

Your own Bun's ear infection may actually be due to Pasteurella

I have had several Rabbits who have had active symptoms and their companion has not been effected. Personally I would not introduce a new Rabbit who had active clinical symptoms, but I probably would if all symptoms were fully resolved. There will always be a risk of relapse, especially at times of stress. So moving to a new home *might* trigger the onset of clinical symptoms again.

Also, it may be that the Rabbit you are thinking of taking on has some longterm damage to his respiratory tract due to the infection. This would obviously have longterm implications as far a Vet fees go.

Insurance Companies would NOT cover any pre-existing condition, so you would NOT be able to get him Insured to cover him for any further treatment he may need that relates to Pasteurella.

Thankyou Jane:thumb:Very good point about the vets fees.
Harrys ear problem began with mites which we got rid of but his pasteurella(which he had when i first had him) has surfaced again during his treatment causing further infection into his ears.I know that it can be difficult to manage.
If i had no other buns though hed be with me in a flash-everything considered.
I think I may have to try to put him out of my mind-going to be hard as i have fallen for him:love:Hes one of those happy relaxed "follow you around"type buns despite having had his health problems-i just want to bring him home!!!Thanks again Jane.Kind of you to post when youve got lots to think about yourself.

You've had excellent advice from Jane.

I just thought I'd say that I know some people feed/give Echinacea to support the immune system - this might be helpful to keep the Pasturella at bay urging stressful times. I know for humans it is best not to take it constantly but just for a couple of months around an expected time of stress, so start in advance of say a change of home or boarding and continue for a bit after.

You've had excellent advice from Jane.

I just thought I'd say that I know some people feed/give Echinacea to support the immune system - this might be helpful to keep the Pasturella at bay urging stressful times. I know for humans it is best not to take it constantly but just for a couple of months around an expected time of stress, so start in advance of say a change of home or boarding and continue for a bit after.

Thankyou Im going to start giving this to my bun who has an ear infection.Ididnt know it had these properties.Thankyou for the suggestion:thumb:

Back