• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not sure if it's too soon to get Poppy a new friend.

Iv'e been thinking Poppy looks sad and lonely. She has always been a quiet relaxed bun, but I think she is even quiter now she doesn't have Pebbles to groom and lay down with.

So.....I just went to the RSPCA near me and looked at their two male single buns. One is a brown lop but he came in with severely overgrown teeth. Two incisors had to be removed and another one has to be taken out at a later date as they had difficulties trying to remove it. I really don't think I can handle the stress of another dental bun right now, not after 3 years of dentals with Pebbles.

The other bun is a gorgeous grey bun with helicopter ears called Smokey ...brought in with 4 siblings at 6 months old, his 2 brothers and 2 sisters were paired off and he is on his own.

http://www.rspcathanet.org.uk/animals/gallery/rabbits/index.asp

They were going to try to bond him with the brown lop, but haven't yet.

I only went to have a look, but ended up putting a reserve on him. I asked..."What are the chances of someone coming in over the next few days wanting a single male bun??" and we were just saying how unlikely it was when someone came in and asked for........a single male bun to pair with their female!!

Luckily i was already halfway through filling in the reservation form!

But driving back home, I started to wonder whether I was doing the right thing? Is it too soon? Then I started getting a bit tearful again..but then I was thinking that Pebbles would want Poppy to be happy agaian and not lonely.

I am in the same boat as you. I have Herbie at home and he is ok without Inca but I just think he must be so bored when I am not there, I am out of the house for work about 13hours a day, then I am sleeping too, so only probably see the wee man for about 4hours, which is not enough for him, he needs company.

If I wasn't going away on holiday at the start of May I think I would have already got him a partner, and it has only been three weeks since I lost Inca. I just don't wanna leave my mum responsible for a new bun that I dont even know yet.

I remember getting Herbie & Inca after I lost Kermit, it was just under 3months later, even then it felt too soon....even when I got them home I was worried I had made a mistake, but then I started to love them :)

I think that I would wait longer if it was just me that I was thinking about, but I know that Herbie needs a friend, so I will be getting him one as soon as I am back from Iceland.

Oh, and Smokey is one cure bunster - lovely colour :)

Its the SPCA (Scottish RSPCA) that I have seen my potential new bun :)

What is strange is that his brothers & sisters are the 4 butterfly buns...2 lops and 2 uppey ears...yet he is completely grey apart from a tiny white patch on a paw... I'd fall in love with him instantly...:lol:

It might be too soon for you, but not for Poppy. So although it might be hard for you to adopt another bun right now, think about if it's right for her. If she seems sad and quiet then I think you're doing the right thing.

Plus, he's gorgeous. :D

It might be too soon for you, but not for Poppy. So although it might be hard for you to adopt another bun right now, think about if it's right for her. If she seems sad and quiet then I think you're doing the right thing.

Plus, he's gorgeous. :D

I was going to say this too. Smoky is very very gorgeous :love: If it all works out, and I have fingers crossed it does, then you will find that Smoky won't be replacing Pebbles in your heart. Human hearts are very stretchy as far as bunnies go, and Smoky will soon be a much loved part of it. I see it as a tribute to the bunny now at Rainbow Bridge that because of what they taught us, and the realtionship that we had with them, we are able to offer a home to another rabbit in need xx

Oh, I know it is the right thing to do...and I already think of him as mine and I love him already :lol: I know I shouldn't..just in case they forget that I want him and give him to someone else.

I know I have enough love to give to a hundred buns...I'd take them all if I could!

I've even given him a new name :lol: But I won't reveal that till I have him in my arms.

I know he isn't replacing Pebbles.. I'm just adding to my family..again!

he is so inquisitive and he was happy to be held by the girl who showed me him...I just hope Poppy loves him too!

Hi, my bunny lost his wifey and was pretty miserable, wouldn't come out of his hutch, wouldn't cuddle, just didn't move, I got a lovely little girlie bun from a local rescue centre , they bonded within a day and he is sooo much happier :D, lively and all gooey over her.
So I waited a week, because I was away, but it couldn't have been soon enough I don't think.
He's a quiet bunny, so is she, I wish they would romp around and play like other people's bunnies ....but they seem happy.:wave:

You'll do the right thing.

You'll always love Pebbles, but Poppy probably would love another friend and he sure is a handsome boy :love: if you want him, get him, it sounds as though you have your heart set on him.

Let us know! :love:

Well you fell in love with him. He looks lovely and Poppy will have rabbit company. All sounds good. Very best of luck. :wave:

I was going to say this too. Smoky is very very gorgeous :love: If it all works out, and I have fingers crossed it does, then you will find that Smoky won't be replacing Pebbles in your heart. Human hearts are very stretchy as far as bunnies go, and Smoky will soon be a much loved part of it. I see it as a tribute to the bunny now at Rainbow Bridge that because of what they taught us, and the realtionship that we had with them, we are able to offer a home to another rabbit in need xx

This completely.

And he's gorgeous!

He will be so lucky to have you and Poppy in his life.

Sounds like you have fallen for him big time already :love:

I think for you it will always be too soon, so you may as well get the gorgeous bun for Poppy now so she has a friend. You know it will work out for the best in the end ;)

I've been looking at Smokey on there for the last few weeks but OH is being a meany :lol: He is gorgeous :love: It'd be lovely if you have him, at least I'd get regular pics ;) :lol:

I've been looking at Smokey on there for the last few weeks but OH is being a meany :lol: He is gorgeous :love: It'd be lovely if you have him, at least I'd get regular pics ;) :lol:

That's the advantage of being the boss in my house :lol: I left my number yesterday for the manager to call me back, but he didn't. So I'm going to call again. Poppy seemed to be happier yesterday and this morning. She is really wanting to go in the garden but she is a little madam, so I need to re-do the fence to stop her jumping over. And smokey, being young may be a jumper too...so I'm busy making the top garden more secure.

That's the advantage of being the boss in my house :lol: I left my number yesterday for the manager to call me back, but he didn't. So I'm going to call again. Poppy seemed to be happier yesterday and this morning. She is really wanting to go in the garden but she is a little madam, so I need to re-do the fence to stop her jumping over. And smokey, being young may be a jumper too...so I'm busy making the top garden more secure.

Glad Poppy seems happier. When are you thinking of getting Smokey?

Glad Poppy seems happier. When are you thinking of getting Smokey?

Sorry, I missed your post!

I phoned the RSPCA and waited all weekend for the manager to phone me back regarding taking Poppy to meet Smokey. He didn't phone me, so I phoned again Monday.

I spoke to the manager, who was initially against the idea of me taking Poppy there.."not normal procedure" it seems...I guess they expect you to take bun and deal with the consequences regardless. He told me there was two ways of bonding, to which I explained that I'd bonded loads of buns before..I just wanted to guage their initial response to each other ( she had fallen in love with Pebbles at first sight!)

So after a bit of pursuasion he agreed..if I had a certificate of vaccination. Seems 3 years of receipts from Companion care was not satisfactory, but we arranged to take Poppy to meet Smokey tomorrow at 1pm. I managed to get Companion Care to do me a certificate showing last 3 years of vaccinations (and date she was neutered).

Strangely when I asked about booking a home visit, he said can't do that until after Poppy has met Smokey tomorrow as it isn't "procedure"..very strange as he said it wasn't procedure for them to meet in the first place.

I am left wondering whether the local branch of the RSPCA actually want to rehome their buns (Smokey and his siblings have been there for 6 months already)...or is this a test to make sure I really want him, and not just getting him on a whim? :?

Fingers crossed I will get him eventually, but at the speed things are going it could be a long time :roll:

But at least Poppy seems happy....free ranging in the garden doing high speed loops of the lawn followed by a quick dash through the patio doors inside.....then she comes out and does it again! And ignored the lawn and munched on my dwarf beans and freshly sprouting ferns :roll: I don't have the heart to put her in her pen as she is constantly trying to get out!

How odd :? A friend of mine took her rabbit in to meet a bun they had there. It does sound like the manager is trying to make things difficult for some strange reason.

I emailed them a few weeks ago as I was thinking of taking on a doe who someone wanted to re-home. I asked if they had any single males I could take as a friend for her and they emailed back to say that all their rabbits are already paired up and they had no single buns. Then I saw your post about Smokey so they obviously do have single buns :?

Hope all goes well for you and Smokey is home with you soon xxxx

Back