• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D 15 July. Finally bought a wheelie bin for hay storage.

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
Spent a few hours on Amazon looking at outdoor storage solutions, which would be for a bale of hay. With the latest bale being so full of dirt (binned more than half of it), I want to store future bales outside.

We have an Amazon voucher so its the only site we can use. The feedback on all of them is poor. Any suggestions please.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but I wouldn't recommend this one for outdoor use: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keter-Pack-...6372929&sr=8-5&keywords=outdoor+storage+boxes

I got one, and it is perfect for bales - they fit exactly - but I found that rain water would sit on the lid and then dribble in when I opened it up. I had to move mine into the shed, and it is ideal in there.

I hope you find something that does work.

Ditto. I use this but it needs to be in a building or under a tarp.

I've got a keter storage box been used outside for the last 10 years and its been fine still store my bales in it now

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but I wouldn't recommend this one for outdoor use: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keter-Pack-...6372929&sr=8-5&keywords=outdoor+storage+boxes

I got one, and it is perfect for bales - they fit exactly - but I found that rain water would sit on the lid and then dribble in when I opened it up. I had to move mine into the shed, and it is ideal in there.

I hope you find something that does work.

I use one very similar with a hippo bag over the top. Make sure you raise it on bricks otherwise rain gets in underneath.

Could you not get something like it and put it in the play house....buns could use it as a platform.

Thinking it might be easier to get a new wheelie bin. I was looking for a purple or pink one but they don't do those colours but am sure I have seen purple wheelie bins.

Yaretzi I was looking at that one and very tempted.

Thanks everyone. I haven't got an outdoor shed. Bluesmum I can imagine the delight of Bandit and Cutie-pie if I put it in with them but the ratbags would wee and poo all over it. Would have to take the rood off to get storage inside. I am never going to touch that roof again. :lol:

Thank you for asking this question as I've been looking at those storage options today as well!! I currently store 3 bales of hay in my playhouse, however, i'm thinking of converting the playhouse for the buns (who are currently indoors) and need somewhere to put my hay, trouble is I can't find anything large enough that I can fit 3 bales in :|

Thinking it might be easier to get a new wheelie bin. I was looking for a purple or pink one but they don't do those colours but am sure I have seen purple wheelie bins.

Thanks everyone. I haven't got an outdoor shed. Bluesmum I can imagine the delight of Bandit and Cutie-pie if I put it in with them but the ratbags would wee and poo all over it. Would have to take the rood off to get storage inside. I am never going to touch that roof again. :lol:

http://www.wheeliebinsales.co.uk/specifications.htm
you can get a purple one, dont say the price though! I want a pink one but def dont do pink :wave:

How about the plastic/metal bike sheds? They are a bit bigger and usually have doors in the side.

I'd one of the boxes and the rain does drip a bit when you open, I've a feeling you could fix it by glueing a flap of plastic sheet to the top edge that hung over the back but I only have a bit of hay and it's in plastic bags so not a big issue for me.

we have two bright yellow wheelie bins of hay!! Fit a huge bale in each

How old is this thread ? :shock:

Today we finally collected a new blue 240 litre wheelie bin and storing the bale of hay outside after storing bales of hay indoors for 2 years. It only cost me £30.00. :D

Do you mind me asking where you bought your wheelie bin? I am thinking of getting one.

I bought it off ebay and collected, near Heathrow airport. The bloke has a few new wheelie bins left.

You can buy other wheelie bins that are delivered but they are about £50.00. Make sure they are new or clean, there are some with bad feedback as they sell dirty used bins that were meant to be cleaned.

Thankyou I'll have a look around. Someone mentioned I may be able to purchase an extra from the council (although obviously it won't be a pretty colour!).

Thankyou I'll have a look around. Someone mentioned I may be able to purchase an extra from the council (although obviously it won't be a pretty colour!).

I was going to get a garden recycling bin from the council but there is a long waiting list. :roll: They are only giving new people bins that are given up by other residents who no longer want them. Could take more than a year, so I didn't bother. At least with a blue one my neighbours won't use it.

Back