• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor bunsters!

BunnyMomx2

Young Bun
So I'm new :) just moved to Sheffield and finally we found a house to rent!
Anyways my gf agreed once we got a house (flat before) I could get a rabbit (as I miss my 2 that passed away loads) anywhoo I thought I'd really want them inside because then I can spend tons of time with them even in awful weather!!

So have put a deposit on 2 male netherland dwarfs (will be getting them neutered ) but I want to start as I mean to go now I know more space the better but I'm renting this house and although my landlady has agreed to us keeping rabbits indoors I don't want extra costs when and if we leave so I'm thinking a large dog crate with an attached pen?

What my question is - when I first get them am I best to confine their space a little or give them full run of their allowed area (dog crate and pen ) dog crate won't ever be closed! Just wondering with them being so young still??

Any advice is appreciated :)

Hello and welcome to the forum. So happy for you that you are getting your buns, and great that you are keeping them indoors as well. I have 5 'special needs' house bunnies, and have never had bunnies outdoors. I personally, until they are used to you, would keep them in their crate/run, until they have settled in and got used to being handled. I would probably after a couple of weeks if they were seeming really happy and settled, maybe occasionally let them out for a run about, just to make it more exciting and interesting for them. Just out of interest where are you getting your buns from, and didn't you consider going to a rescue at all?

Thanks for your advice =) I was going to get one of those huge cages pic included

23808.jpg

but then after having a read here, in the long run (for when they are settled with us) it would be better to get a crate so then I can attach a large pen so they have lots of space to go all the time?

Thanks for your advice =) I was going to get one of those huge cages pic included

23808.jpg

but then after having a read here, in the long run (for when they are settled with us) it would be better to get a crate so then I can attach a large pen so they have lots of space to go all the time?

Sadly they are too small small for rabbits, even though they are advertised fr them :( I would say the best indoor set up would be bunny proofing a room :thumb: or if you can't do that a dog crate http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=dog+crate&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=8877661813&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=631213&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1711693428560387189&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_6mt3wlhqha_b
With a puppy pen. It would be best to detach the puppy pen so it's like one big line then put it up against a wall so they can have the most space as possible :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SIDED-METAL-PUPPY-RABBIT-EXTRA/dp/B007ML9WL8/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1366352607&sr=8-11&keywords=Puppy+pen

Hence why we said were gonna get a dog crate with a pen =) - its not possible to give them the entire room its a rented house but we will give them as much space as possible =)

I have that cage, but have a bunny who is about 10 months old and he just has a tray and the run of the room. I have a 14 week old and the cage is for her really i put her in at night for her tea so she can eat in peace and have a break from the other bun as i havent had her long. But when she is spayed i will just have that cage for a base and just leave it open. The room they are in is bunny proof, no wires nothing they can get up to bunny mischief with :lol:

were just gonna get a crate and make it all cosy n get a litter tray with tons of hay etc =) seen some of the pics here so got lots of ideas =)

Back