• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it normal to llose some of the Rabbit Litter?

TPvsHP

Young Bun
Hey all,
You may well know that my two Girls have just had kits ...I though there were eight but on a re-count i found 11 and today I thought i'd have a thorough look in the nest now that they are a few day older and i'm sad to say i found two that had not made it. :cry: :( :roll:
Could anyone tell me is this normal or have I done something wrong????
should i have checked the nest thoroughly earlier ?????
I feel so responsible :oops:

11 is an incredibly large litter so yes it's likely a few wouldn't make it, there were probably quite a few runts. I know it's heartbreaking but with the smaller litter size mum will be able to cope a lot better and the remaining babies will have a much better chance in life, if she had of raised 11 it's likely they'd all of been very small and weak and the . Don't blame yourself, checking the nest wouldn't of helped, even if you'd of noticed a few hadn't been fed properly I very much doubt you'd of had time to find another lactating female and hand rearing from newborn rarely ever works :( I haven't had a look myself but I keep hearing from other members that there are some very good 'sticky' articles on raising baby rabbits so have a look around the care section :)

RIP Bunnies, good luck with the rest

11 is an incredibly large litter so yes it's likely a few wouldn't make it, there were probably quite a few runts. I know it's heartbreaking but with the smaller litter size mum will be able to cope a lot better and the remaining babies will have a much better chance in life, if she had of raised 11 it's likely they'd all of been very small and weak and the . Don't blame yourself, checking the nest wouldn't of helped, even if you'd of noticed a few hadn't been fed properly I very much doubt you'd of had time to find another lactating female and hand rearing from newborn rarely ever works :( I haven't had a look myself but I keep hearing from other members that there are some very good 'sticky' articles on raising baby rabbits so have a look around the care section :)

RIP Bunnies, good luck with the rest

Thank you for your words of support ...just to clear up what i meant though there are 11 live kits between 2 lactating mums in that same enclosure the two i found sadly passed away were babies 12 and 13.

Regards
TPvsHP

Is is normal to lose a few, especially if they're outside, but regardless it is normal, though if you see any out of the nest, rub your hands in their dirty litter and move it back, rabbits can't pick up their young so any that fall out of the nest is unlikely to get back in.

Back