• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! URGENT U/D Attempt #1 abandoned due to catatonia :-(

Jolysium

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I've just put Harrison and Freda together, neutral area. There has been chasing and fur pulling, almost had to separate them because it was getting really vicious but then they stopped. Now Harrison is happily munching hay but Freda is in a corner absolutely petrified and thumping every time he goes anywhere near her. She looks so stressed. How long do I give her before I let her go home? :?

Please help, I feel awful for her!

Last edited:
20130418_191317.jpg

This about sums it up...

I'd probably go smaller, force them together as in that space they can stay away from each other which will cause tension. Also more hay, plonk loads in the middle :)

20130418_191917.jpg

Thanks for quick replies guys, much appreciated! Better? Think that's as small as it will go. Should I leave her in if she's really stressed?

I agree, half the space and put in lots of hay and twigs, anything to distract them. Have a soft broom or brush to hand, just in case. Fur pulling, chasing & humping is normal to start with, but it should settle down, but supervise them. If things do look like it is going beyond chasing, then use the broom/brush to seperate them for a minute.

Usually this initial stage doesn't last long, especially if she admits he is dominant.

edit: Yes that is a better size. Just watch them carefully to see that she calms down.

I'd probably go smaller, force them together as in that space they can stay away from each other which will cause tension. Also more hay, plonk loads in the middle :)

^^^^^^ This. Flora and Benji spent a week chasing, fur pulling, humping and ignoring in a pen that size until I forced them into a tiny crate for 24 hours. It wasn't much bigger than a carrying crate but it was short term pain for long term gain. They were all loved up after that and started mutual grooming almost immediately.

20130418_191917.jpg

Thanks for quick replies guys, much appreciated! Better? Think that's as small as it will go. Should I leave her in if she's really stressed?

Flora and Benji had to go down to a crate about half your smaller size :shock:. Anything larger and they just chased each other. It wasn't until they were literally forced to sit right next to each other that they began mutual grooming. Good luck! It's nerve wracking - I don't envy you :lol::lol:

She's so scared! He's just scoffing. And just as I was writing that...

20130418_193211.jpg

He's chilled but she's stressed and doesn't seem to want to move let alone anything else!

do you have a pet carrier and can take them for a car journey... they should try to seek solace with each other as the car journey will stress them..

good luck... Bonding is a nightmare for some...

fee x

do you have a pet carrier and can take them for a car journey... they should try to seek solace with each other as the car journey will stress them..

good luck... Bonding is a nightmare for some...

fee x

I can't really because I would have to drive and wouldn't be able to separate them. Also she's so scared already I don't know whether it would make things worse - he's not really phased by car journeys! I'm so worried about her, he's just nipped her several times and she didn't budge.

She's just not responding to anything, should I take her out? I'm not sure whether she can see him... a while ago she was lunging and biting and a couple of people suggested it might be eyesight related, but once I put her in a room of her own she stopped so I put it down to being scared in another bunny's territory. But she doesn't seem to be taking his cues at all, just standing frozen. :(

Don't give up yet. I'm usually a fan of 'once together, stay together' but perhaps separate them for tonight and then try again tomorrow.

She's just not responding to anything, should I take her out? I'm not sure whether she can see him... a while ago she was lunging and biting and a couple of people suggested it might be eyesight related, but once I put her in a room of her own she stopped so I put it down to being scared in another bunny's territory. But she doesn't seem to be taking his cues at all, just standing frozen. :(

Is the room you are using for bonding completely neutral, so no rabbit has been in there?

20130418_191317.jpg

This about sums it up...

Blimey...if I'd put my two this close together when they started bonding there'd have been mayhem, so this isn't too bad!! I had to sit with them constantly wear gardening gloves acting referee! But they loved each other in the end...don't give up :)

Blimey...if I'd put my two this close together when they started bonding there'd have been mayhem, so this isn't too bad!! I had to sit with them constantly wear gardening gloves acting referee! But they loved each other in the end...don't give up :)

PS my last bond took three months!

Don't give up yet. I'm usually a fan of 'once together, stay together' but perhaps separate them for tonight and then try again tomorrow.

Thanks Mackers... yes I had been planning for them to stay together but it's too stressful for her. I've put her back in her room and she's fine now!

Back