• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Little rant.

Hales1092

Warren Scout
I just feel the need...

Do you know what really annoys me? When someone comes to me, or my other half and says they can't keep their rabbit/s anymore due to them being extremely aggressive and not bonding with other bunnies. This has happened recently with Poppy and Bear. Bear came with a poorly foot from a family friend and there was also reports of aggression. She was aggressive, but that was to do with her being in so much pain. And she settled down as soon as the vet remove the pin from her foot. Poppy was apparently not nice towards other rabbits, and didn't bond with any other bunnies. Therefore, according to the owners was very aggressive! But as soon as they came to us, and got the love and attention they needed? They were both happy and very sociable buns! In fact, Bear and Poppy are now part of a trio, soon to be a quad! It just annoys me when people take on rabbits, and don't understand that they need love and attention too. They can't just stay in a cage 24/7, they need love and interaction. Bear and Poppy are now very much loved pets and plan to stay on with us and get their own heated shed once the house move is complete. I just wish people were more considerate and more up front with why they don't want their rabbit. Because due to someone saying their rabbit is aggressive, it could have major bad affects on the poor buns.

Anyways, here is a picture of Bear and Poppy, very much best of friends.
WP_000105_zps5fb5a512.jpg

Aww - they're lovely. I guess it's the same old story of people not being willing or not caring enough to give the pets THEY chose the time, care and attention they need and deserve. A sad reflection on human society.

I've taken on a few buns labelled aggressive & only one truly was.

How many buns have you got now? You are doing a me & going from 1-15 in 3 weeks:lol:

A client at my vets had two male bunnies that did not get along - they had them neutered and they still fought so they want rid of one of them.

After agreeing to take the bunny I found out he had been neutered 3 days!!!! before they decided to get rid of him.

I've taken on a few buns labelled aggressive & only one truly was.

How many buns have you got now? You are doing a me & going from 1-15 in 3 weeks:lol:

Oh lets see, here is a list!
Amber and her 8 babies-Giant Continental
Bear-Lop Nethie cross
Poppy- Nethie cross
Dumbo-Elop
Bandura-Pure Netherland Dwarf
Soon to be a baby Giant Continental
These are our own bunnies that we just couldn't re-home.

Then we have about 5 rescues on our hands at the moment. :lol:

A client at my vets had two male bunnies that did not get along - they had them neutered and they still fought so they want rid of one of them.

After agreeing to take the bunny I found out he had been neutered 3 days!!!! before they decided to get rid of him.

People just don't give bunnies enough time do they? 3 days is not long at all! It takes months for horemones to settle down! :(

It is so sad that people do not give their buns the time and attention that they deserve..it makes it even worse to know that people just want to get rid of their buns so quickly, when I would give anything to have mine back!

That's how I got Poppy..she wasn't allowed out of her 3 ft cage cos she chewed..if they had actually bothered to spend a little time protecting stuff they would have seen what a gorgeous snuggle bun she was.

It is so sad that people do not give their buns the time and attention that they deserve..it makes it even worse to know that people just want to get rid of their buns so quickly, when I would give anything to have mine back!

That's how I got Poppy..she wasn't allowed out of her 3 ft cage cos she chewed..if they had actually bothered to spend a little time protecting stuff they would have seen what a gorgeous snuggle bun she was.

This was like my Poppy in some cases. Her nails where so over grown and in growing and her feet were bent due to her being in a very small outdoor cage. In all honestly it was more like a guinea pig hutch! You're really right, if they had bothered to spend a little more time protecting stuff a lot of bunnies would have good homes and not chew things. Ofc, if there are wires around a bunny wants to explore it! Amber chewed her way through my macbook wires, phone chargers and carpet! But this was due to me having things on medium bunny levels, and i forgot Amber can easily get higher than our other buns. But i didn't give her away or get annoyed. She was just being cheeky and exploring. You've just gotta learn the behaviours and attitude of your bunny!

You know - the older I get the more I believe that the human race are just stupid - not everyone of course but an awful lot of them. Why cannot people work out why an animal is behaving in a certain way? And why take on an animal if you're not prepared to learn about how they behave and how you can help the animal be a happy, non-aggressive creature. People :evil:

You know - the older I get the more I believe that the human race are just stupid - not everyone of course but an awful lot of them. Why cannot people work out why an animal is behaving in a certain way? And why take on an animal if you're not prepared to learn about how they behave and how you can help the animal be a happy, non-aggressive creature. People :evil:

I totally agree, each one of my buns have very different personalities and i've bonded those who personalities match. It doesn't happen over night and it takes time getting to know your pets and look after them properly. Sometimes animals act in a certain way down to the owners!

People are used to buying something because they want it (me included). Then not wanting to put in the time and effort needed to give the correct environment/companionship (in the case of rabbits). I did get my first two on impulse but quickly did loads of research, including coming on to RU and I now have four more, all rescues. I guess we just have too much of a throw away society. Still, better they rehome than keep them locked away in inadequate housing and all that goes with it (neglect)...

Oh lets see, here is a list!
Amber and her 8 babies-Giant Continental
Bear-Lop Nethie cross
Poppy- Nethie cross
Dumbo-Elop
Bandura-Pure Netherland Dwarf
Soon to be a baby Giant Continental
These are our own bunnies that we just couldn't re-home.

Then we have about 5 rescues on our hands at the moment. :lol:

I can reduce the number by one if yin like......;)

I don't think aggression while bonding is always a terrible sign...it's natural afterall. When speaking to the lady at the rescue on the phone it sounds as if they have trouble with people returning buns and saying 'oh they didnt get on...x bit y'.

My Big, a lovely gentle bun, tried to rip Little to shreds when they first met...calm handling and gardening gloves allowed them to bond over three months.

PS I Love Bear!! Someone suggested Bear as a name for my new bun so I'm afraid there'll be two on RU! :)

I don't think aggression while bonding is always a terrible sign...it's natural afterall. When speaking to the lady at the rescue on the phone it sounds as if they have trouble with people returning buns and saying 'oh they didnt get on...x bit y'.

My Big, a lovely gentle bun, tried to rip Little to shreds when they first met...calm handling and gardening gloves allowed them to bond over three months.

PS I Love Bear!! Someone suggested Bear as a name for my new bun so I'm afraid there'll be two on RU! :)

Ofc a little bit of agression at first isn't always a bad sign! Some bonds take longer than others, with Bear and Poppy it was pretty much instant! But with Amber and her new hubby bun, i can tell it's gonna take a while! And thank you, Bear is a great name isn't it? :lol:

Back