• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgently need cages/crates!

Hales1092

Warren Scout
Not sure if this is the right section, but anyways.

Due to a very large amount of bunnies being abandoned and being left on our doorstep a couple of times. We are in serious need of cages and dog crates? Does anyone know of any being sold, or given away for free? In the North or West Yorkshire area pleaseeeeee? Urgently needed as there are 4 very tiny bunnies at our local vets needing a foster home. But i don't have enough room right now :(

Yeah, i usually get mine off amazon. But there doesn't seem to be any left that i usually get. It's an extra large dog cage for a great dane, and was only £30. Gonna try ebay now, thanks :wave:

I have an old and a bit rusty rat cage you can have as an emergency home for little ones if that helps. The base is about 1.5 foot x 3 ft so you could use it as a base for babies with a pen attached. It was actually a sold as a rabbit cage about 20 years ago, it's a ferplast bunny duplex but even P&H said they bought them in for rats.
I could probably drop it off on Saturday if you want it. The condition isn't great but you could either scrub it or plasticote it.

Oh, that would be lovely! Thank you. I am actually picking my buns up from harrogate tonight if that would be ideal for you? I can probably pop through and get it if its not too far. But i doubt it would fit in my car tbh, :( Other than that, i will be in saturday all day as i work nights at the weekend :)

Last edited:
Oh, that would be lovely! Thank you. I am actually picking my buns up from harrogate tonight if that would be ideal for you? I can probably pop through and get it if its not too far. But i doubt it would fit in my car tbh, :( Other than that, i will be in saturday all day as i work nights at the weekend :)

I'll drop it down saturday afternoon if that's ok. I need to get DH to drag it out of the shed. I hope it'll fit in the car, if not I'll have to get him to bring me in the transit. Will PM you my number.

Its illegal for bunnies to be dumped on your doorstep, so please leave a note on your door with the no of the local RSPCA.

Unless you are setting up a rescue yourself, you need to be careful about taking on a lot of bunnies. You have recently had a litter and have a couple of bunnies fighting, which could be referred aggression (if they are both spayed of course).. No one can determine how many bunnies you adopt but, often, people want to be part of the solution and simply take on too many bunnies and it all becomes overwhelming or their circumstances change, and they become part of the problem rather than the solution.

You have mentioned the vet is seeking foster homes for some bunnies. I am sure they wont have problems in finding new homes for these from their surgery.

Its illegal for bunnies to be dumped on your doorstep, so please leave a note on your door with the no of the local RSPCA.

Unless you are setting up a rescue yourself, you need to be careful about taking on a lot of bunnies. You have recently had a litter and have a couple of bunnies fighting, which could be referred aggression (if they are both spayed of course).. No one can determine how many bunnies you adopt but, often, people want to be part of the solution and simply take on too many bunnies and it all becomes overwhelming or their circumstances change, and they become part of the problem rather than the solution.

You have mentioned the vet is seeking foster homes for some bunnies. I am sure they wont have problems in finding new homes for these from their surgery.

Yes, we are careful about taking on too many bunnies. For example, at the moment we only have 2 bunnies looking for new homes and the rest are our own buns. And we don't tend to take on anymore until we have moved house and built more room for buns. And yes, we are in contact with a local vets who helped us re-home previous buns as this is obviously not our full time job or anything.

The litter of Amber's was no fault of our own, and we are preventing anything like that happening in future. All our bunnies are either neutered/speyed or will be within the next month. Although i would love to take on every bunny that comes, i often have to say no and give them to the rspca. As i am in regular contact with a lovely gentlemen who works for the local RSPCA and often comes around to check on us all. I have also helped him with short term foster care as a lot of the RSPCA is taken up with cats and dogs. Mainly to just get the buns used to being handled and be in a home environment

Back