• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Koalas

Ohh, I have seen Koalas in Oz :) They were rather lazy, they just sleep and eat! What a life :)

I love your posts of Australian wild life. We only see the very occasional TV programme here.
Is it true that Koalas get intoxicated from eucalyptus & can even fall out of trees?
It's bugged me for ages because it seems so maladaptive.

It is one of those urban myths that koalas become intoxicated from eucalyptus leaves. They have a very low quality diet combined with a slow metabolic rate and rest for up to 16-18 hours a day which is in itself not too dissimilar to lions.

These photos were taken quite some time ago and I can't be sure where they were. I would guess probably Taronga Zoo.

ETA. There is a saying in Australia that we got all the animals Noah couldn't fit on his ark.

Last edited:
It is one of those urban myths that koalas become intoxicated from eucalyptus leaves. They have a very low quality diet combined with a slow metabolic rate and rest for up to 16-18 hours a day which is in itself not too dissimilar to lions.

These photos were taken quite some time ago and I can't be sure where they were. I would guess probably Taronga Zoo.

ETA. There is a saying in Australia that we got all the animals Noah couldn't fit on his ark.

How long do Koalas tend to live in the wild ?

Thank you so much for the answer which makes so much more sense. :D I've waited years for that!! So in fact they're incredibly well adapted to their niche in the ecosystem.
How long do they live for?

I love your ETA too.:lol: As far as I can gather, even the relatively recent fossil life throughout much of the Cainozoic period is different from the rest of the world too. So Noah would have had to go a log way to find them:lol:

Back