• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nappies for incontinent Bunnies

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
Is it ok to put a nappy on an elderly incontinent bun? Mona just now is weeing on herself. As she is partly paralysed she tilts to one side and all the wee runs to that side of her body making the fur wet. Atm she has a daily rinse and wipe down but I wonder if a nappy would stop that from happening and reduce the need to clean her. She doesn't show stress during cleaning but I do wonder if she'd prefer not to be made wet and handled so much.

Personally I hate them on bunnies. They need changing every hour or two as they fill extremely quickly. They also get heavy quickly so of bunny has mobility issues it can make it worse. I also don't think they keep bunny that clean plus they can't eat their poops.

I think shaving and a good barrier cream is much better a long with regularly changed vetbed

Sounds like what my Inca was like, I just had to keep her fur short, clean her and put cream on.....as well as wash the vet beds loads.

One other thing I did is just pat her dry every so often with a dry towel, not cleaning her as such but taking some of the wetness off of her fur. I used to basically do this loads throughout the day.

I'd probably echo what Hugo's There has said. We had Kenco's fur around his bottom shaved at the vets to make it easier to manage, and we use Sudocrem on Muesli when he needs it (luckily he gets wet underneath infrequently now). As Muesli is an incontinent bunny, we've actually found it easier to put down puppy pads everywhere and change these frequently. We did get some human incontinence bed sheets but unfortunately he chewed these!

Oh and you can also use cornflour to do a kind of 'dry bath' on the fur if the skin isnt actually wet and sore, it works well.

Thanks guys. I had not thought of shaving, that would probably make a massive difference. At the moment her skin is nice and pink still. Would sudocrem be ok for the barrier cream? I think I will ask the vet tomorrow about shaving her and see what that does. If she is shaven will she get cold more quickly? She lives indoors so she would never freeze but I do wonder if she would need a cover of some sort.

It would only be underneath and a small part of her plus the weather is getting warmer, so should be fine.

I use sudocreme or bepanthan, think that's how its spelt

It would only be underneath and a small part of her plus the weather is getting warmer, so should be fine.

I use sudocreme or bepanthan, think that's how its spelt

That's great thank you. I think we shall have to make a shaving appointment then. Her skin is quite thin these days, is there a risk she would get a cut or sore from the shaver. Also would the vet do it on a conscious animal? When I used to volunteer at a practice I only ever saw them shave sedated or unconscious animals.

I got a little pair of battery operated clippers from Argos for Trevor. She would sit on my lap on the sofa while I gave her a quick Hollywood then have a crunchie for being a good girl and back to playing with no stress.

Might be worth getting some, it would be cheaper than the vets doing it every couple of Weeks

I got a little pair of battery operated clippers from Argos for Trevor. She would sit on my lap on the sofa while I gave her a quick Hollywood then have a crunchie for being a good girl and back to playing with no stress.

Might be worth getting some, it would be cheaper than the vets doing it every couple of Weeks

Hmm that could work actually. Mona is really relaxed with me, I could probably do anything to her! Did you find it easy to shave Trevor?

I found these on Amazon, would these be ok do you think?

They are bigger than the ones I have and Mains operated. Trevor was tiny so my little ones were better for her. I like battery ones as then I can go to the bunnies rather than make then come to me.

I found it very easy doing Trevor but then she was a very good girl and I have been shaving bunnies for many years. Now spud-gun he is a challenge as he has a complete shave in summer which usually takes three sets of batteries!

I can't do a link on my phone but mine are on Amazon for £13.85 and have a silver handle. They are only tiny but it means I can do less damage with them!

having had an incontinant elderly bunny in mowgli when he got old, i wouldn;t use nappies, as mentoned would need regular changing as wet would irritate them more and make more urine scalding
we used puppy training pads for him , it worked and helped him from feeling uncomfy

I have this problem with a guinea pig. She's not fully incontinent, but there is a constant drip down one side. :( I also use Bepanthan cream.

We had Kenco done at the vets and I was really glad I did because they said it was very difficult to do. Also when I discussed it with the vet she advised against doing it yourself, can't remember the reason but I'm guessing there is some skill to it. They did have to sedate Kenco as it took them a long time as his fur was so thick that he was getting a bit distressed, they had to keep doing it in small batches at a time. It didnt actually look that shortly shorn when he came home but it did the trick of keeping him totally dry. He did get one little nick in his skin - which is why I am glad I had it done at the vets and didnt try to do it myself.

Thanks everyone, you've been a fantastic help. Mona is my first disabled bun so I'm still learning a lot with her.
I remembered OH has a beard trimmer, its got quite a slim head and a safety shield to avoid nicks so now Mona now has shorter fur :D. It was really easy because its on her flank so quite a flat area. The fur was wet so it took a few goes but she lay down, ate a romaine leaf and didn't seem to mind at all. Once the wet fur came away it revealed a layer of really thick short plush grey fur (she is black on top) which I have left. I doubt she could ever be shaved to be completely bald and I'm not sure that would be right for her anyway. I found it best to shave in the direction the fur grows and to keep the razor flat against her rather than at an angle. It went so smoothly, no nicks thank goodness. I went really slow, I couldn't bear it if she got hurt from that on top of everything else.
I also ,managed to find some sudocrem and Bepanthen at the co-op. I've gone with the bepanthen tonight. So far she has remained dry. I watched her do a pee and although it trickled down her ankle it didn't soak in because of the cream. So far so good. We're going to the vet on Monday so I'll ask him about it as well and see if he is happy with what I have done and whether I should continue. I felt it best to make some improvement because I can't leave her over the weekend like this. We were at the stage of giving her a daily wipe down and bum bath and although she is a complete trooper I don't think she should go through that every day.

I think using OH beard trimmer was very innovative. Trevor wee'd on my clippers once so I put them on the side to clean and Steve wandered past, picked them up and trimmed his side Burns, haha!

I'm glad it appears to be working x

Glad you have found something to better manage Monas issues :)

Aye, with a disabled bun it really is just finding your feet with things, you learn wee tips and tricks and it makes things so much easier to manage.

I think using OH beard trimmer was very innovative. Trevor wee'd on my clippers once so I put them on the side to clean and Steve wandered past, picked them up and trimmed his side Burns, haha!

I'm glad it appears to be working x

:lol::lol: I asked OH first and he was fine with it, of course I cleaned it afterwards, don't want him getting pee on his beard. If that did happen I wonder if the ammonia in the pee would bleach his beard blond :lol:

Mona was completely dry this morning, the first time in I don't know how many weeks. I'm so pleased. I think she is too, she nearly had my finger when I gave her some carrot leaves, she was that eager :shock:

:lol::lol: I asked OH first and he was fine with it, of course I cleaned it afterwards, don't want him getting pee on his beard. If that did happen I wonder if the ammonia in the pee would bleach his beard blond :lol:

Mona was completely dry this morning, the first time in I don't know how many weeks. I'm so pleased. I think she is too, she nearly had my finger when I gave her some carrot leaves, she was that eager :shock:

You are very good for asking, I would have just taken them and put them back dirty :lol: But then I know Steve would do the same to me!

I am so please that Mona is more comfortable today :love:

Back