• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tiny bunny advice...

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
I wrote a thread at the weekend about a Pet Shop selling under-age bunnies.

Whilst I was at work, Tom went to the shop on his way to a meeting and spoke to the staff there. It turned out that they had been dumped there by a breeder, without their mother. A fox had tried to get into the hutch and the breeder thought it better to 'get rid' of them so she could keep the mother in her shed. I didn't get the full story as it was Tom who went.

Anyway, when Tom picked me up from work, he had one of the babies with him. Apparently the shop after speaking to Tom, put all the baby bunnies in the back. The bunny Tom brought home had been seperated from the others and they didn't want to risk putting her back in. For this reason and because of Tom's knowledge, they asked if we wanted to have her, not at full price. Well, I guess you know the rest. Baby bunny, now called Dotty is home with us.

She's very tiny and is only around 5 weeks old. Apparently, she's a dwarf lop. Since Dex and Pumpkin have their new hutch, they have now been moved outside so we have Bramble in our of our spare rooms and Dotty in the other. Hopefully, when Dotty is older, she will bond with Bramble.

My question is, she has quite loose poos and they're quite squishy. She had been on muesli at the pet shop so I haven't changed her over yet. She's also been eating hay. What can I do to help her tummy? We have had an accidental litter in the past but our bunnies didn't leave mum until 10 weeks and I didn't have these problems.

Can you give me any advice please?

I have also decided not to ring the council about the pet shop. They actually have 2 girls working there (who spoke to Tom) who love bunnies and both keep them in sheds. They're not bunny-savvy but they really took an interest and helped out and they actually listened to Tom, which was great.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Seems odd they didn't want to risk putting her back with the litter, at 5 weeks old they wouldn't make a fuss. But I think this rabbit would do better with you.

I'm not sure with the squishy poos, but best to keep her on what they were feeding her and no veg or treats. Hopefully she won't be too stressed out.

Seems odd they didn't want to risk putting her back with the litter, at 5 weeks old they wouldn't make a fuss. But I think this rabbit would do better with you.

I'm not sure with the squishy poos, but best to keep her on what they were feeding her and no veg or treats. Hopefully she won't be too stressed out.

I agree it was all a bit odd but apparently she's a bit bigger than the others? I'm not too sure tbh. I really wish I had gone with Tom as he's not the best at relaying information tbh. Not that I was even considering getting a baby bunny anyway.

She was extremely stressed and was very shaky, timid and looked terrified. I left her on her own and just went in to check on her and feed/water her until last night. Since then, she seems to have come quite a long way. Right now, she's sat on my shoulder and has been periscoping and jumping about on my chest. She won't leave me but I'm glad she's no longer shaking!

Back