• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building a pen and some toys - ideas please

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
My new foster rabbit is coming to stay on Saturday and I AM SO EXCITED!! I have been waiting 18 months for the SPCA to need a fosterer :oops:

She/he is going to live in the garage because the rain is too heavy for her to be outside, and I have an open garden and concerned about stray dogs.

I wondered firstly if you guys have ideas for toys and things she might like to play with whilst I'm at work? She's going to be coming on her own so I dont want her to bored and lonely. From when I had my own bunnies I remember stuffing toilet roll tubes with hay but I can't think of anything else.

And also, the SPCA are just giving me a hutch, so I wanted to build some kind of pen round it so she wont be trapped in it all the time. Is there a simple construction anyone could recommend please? We don't have those cube things here, and metal pens are expensive, so I was thinking of chicken wire held up with wooden poles, but it might be flimsy?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Yay for you :thumb: cardboard boxes are a good idea because they can hide in them and sit on them etc and they love throwing around toilet roll tubes! You can get fold away tunnels too which my bun loves :) you can get a few and connect them all together! Good luck!

We have a big cardboard castle that has two levels in it which is pretty good :thumb:
Chew sticks are also a hit, and tunnels. I put hay and treats in a toilet roll tube and they love chucking that about getting the treats out. :)

I have a thread somewhere with a pen I made to fit on Lolas cage.at night :wave: I post the link when I switch on the laptop x

Is the pen just for in the garage to keep her contained rather than keep her protected from predators? Chicken wire isn't safe for outside and even if it's used inside, bunnies can chew through it - so perhaps not the best idea if it's for protection or you'd rather the bunny didn't get loose in the garage.

Where is it that you live? Puppy pens can be cheap if you look in the right place, but I suppose it depends on the country etc...

If you check on eBay/preloved etc you may find some used runs. Even if they're small they offer the bunny some space and you can always attach a few together. Means some bunny doesn't get stuck with a tiny run as its only run and also saves you money.

thanks.

We don't have predators that would hurt rabbits other than dogs so its just so she doesnt go on a rampage in the garage chewing bike tyres etc :lol:

Yes good reminder about the chicken wire being chewed thanks, I could look at weld mesh.

Yes please Chloe :)

Last edited:
Back