• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeling a bit gutted for our little Hedgehog

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
He went for a dental yesterday and has to have incisors burred every three to four weeks. We were hoping he could have his incisors removed to save him the stress of repeated vet trips, especially as he is brain damaged. But after being assessed by three vets they all concluded his jaw is too weak so his incisors can't be removed :(

I feel so sorry for him as he is still a young bun, so is going to have to go through an awful lot of vet trips for the rest of his life. The only positive is that the vet is only a few minutes walk away

Sorry thought you meant a hedgehog.

Regular dentals are a nightmare. I am looking into a new procedure, which is like root canal, but I don't think that would work for Hedgehog as the vet would have to go through the bottom of the jaw.

Poor bun. Not fair when they have teeth problems.

Don't worry when he went in to be castrated his name was on the surgery board and the vet nurse getting animals ready for oops was searching for an actually hedgehog. Blame Steve for that one!

Don't worry when he went in to be castrated his name was on the surgery board and the vet nurse getting animals ready for oops was searching for an actually hedgehog. Blame Steve for that one!

:lol: Everyone asks why one of my chinchillas is named Nylon and one of the other chins is called Kat, as in Kat Slater. Don't ask. ;)

I thought this was about a hedgehog too! :oops: poor little man, give him a snuggle from me, I hope he isn't too traumatised xxx

Oh the poor boy :( I feel for you both.
Mimzy is my regular dental bun. Every three months before he got sick, and it's almost been a year since he last had them done. :(
He is in fact going in on the 20th to be assessed by his favorite vet who has returned to the practice after some time at Uni. It's the only day we can see her and I'm afraid that she's going to need to do an on the spot GA/burring on him. He's got residual head tilt and I'm worried about this heart, so this is going to be a dicey trip.

It's not fair that bunnies have so many tooth problems...not at all. :( Many vibes for comfort and healing for your wee Hedghog. xxxx

Poor bubba, but as long as he copes ok with the burring. Does he get it done when he is awake?

My Herbie has had the op to remove his incisors twice and still he has two peg teeth that grow back in and need to get burred every 6 - 8 weeks :( He is a great wee soul getting them burred and comes back from the nurse totally fine, but looks a wee soul as he has a wee wet face. No putting him through the op again as it seems that it just isn't gonna work for him.

Bless him. :( I remembered the state of him and his brother when they first arrived. What gorgeous fluffy boys they have grown into. :love:

Back