• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What size litter tray

Jojo123

Mama Doe
I think Buster may have grown out of his litter tray? Hes just this week got into the habit of pushing it around and pooping on the matt it sits on! Today ive seen hes done a wee on it too! Its just a cat litter tray, is this too small for him do you think? He hasnt got a cage just roams around the room.

Yeah generally they're a bit tiny. A 32L storage box works well because as they lift their tail up to wee, it doesn't go over the the edge :) I completely fill mine with hay and even then they have never weed over the edge.

You can pick them up for £3ish in Asda and wilkos.

Yep, a 32 litre under bed storage box is the way to go :thumb: I fit two buns in mine. I have also got a 60 litre one I think, which is even better as the buns like to lay in it and stretch out! It's their bed, toilet and food bowl (I top up hay twice a day :lol:). I use aubiose in mine which is a deep litter horse bedding, and soaks the usine away from the top down to the bottom, and "locks in" any odour. they tend to pee in two corners anyway, so I put the hay in the middle and it stays clean & dry till then re-arrange it :roll:

Thank you! I will def pop to Wilkos tomorrow and get one! He wont start weeing everywhere if a move it to a dif place will he? x

Yep, a 32 litre under bed storage box is the way to go :thumb: I fit two buns in mine. I have also got a 60 litre one I think, which is even better as the buns like to lay in it and stretch out! It's their bed, toilet and food bowl (I top up hay twice a day :lol:). I use aubiose in mine which is a deep litter horse bedding, and soaks the usine away from the top down to the bottom, and "locks in" any odour. they tend to pee in two corners anyway, so I put the hay in the middle and it stays clean & dry till then re-arrange it :roll:

Where do you get the aubiose from? I clean his tray out most days as i dont like the idea of it starting to be smelly! So that stuff sounds good, i dont think i would want to clean a big box out everyday! x

Where do you get the aubiose from? I clean his tray out most days as i dont like the idea of it starting to be smelly! So that stuff sounds good, i dont think i would want to clean a big box out everyday! x

A horse supply shop :) or online :)

My outdoor pair have 2 32L boxes, I clean one out daily as that's used more (under the hay rack) and the other one is cleaned out every other day, I just pick out dirty hay and top up a lot:)
I just use around 8 sheets of newspaper for each tray and fill with hay :)

I use megazorb for Poppy's litter tray and she gets cleaned out every other day and that never smells :) the hay absorbs most pee before it reaches the megazorb anyway:lol: I get an 85L bag from a horse supply shop for £6.50 :)

Last edited:
Back