• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Head tilt bunnies and bonding...

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
I am terrified of bonding Olly with another bun and just don't know how to go about it :( he doesn't do well in confined spaces, he is never confined anywhere, it makes his head tilt worse :( and to bond successfully it needs to be in a small space. Also he is quite nervous and i really don't want him to be scared if i put him with a new bun :( i am almost definitely going reserve a little black lop I've seen, but i am also concerned as Olly is sometimes scared of shadows (bless him) and at night time if a black bunny shoots past him he might freak! His senses aren't very good unfortunately :( any advice on any of this??? :wave:

I think, once he has got used to having another bun there with him, he will be less afraid. You don't have to bond them in a small space, would 5' x 3' be ok for him?

I think, once he has got used to having another bun there with him, he will be less afraid. You don't have to bond them in a small space, would 5' x 3' be ok for him?

Thanks for replying :wave: i think the smaller the better for bonding, but yes, 5x3 is probably about the minimum i could put him in. You see, he has to tilt his head more to see his surroundings better in small spaces.

In Olly's case, I seriously seriously think dating might be a better form of dating for him rather than the 'plonk him in and let them get on with it' method. Just so he gets used to smells etc, as I believe his eye sight isn't quite perfect too?

I'm so sorry you lost Honey, I hadn't posted, as I couldn't find the words, I looked to Ginger after I had seen your thread :(

*hugs*

In Olly's case, I seriously seriously think dating might be a better form of dating for him rather than the 'plonk him in and let them get on with it' method. Just so he gets used to smells etc, as I believe his eye sight isn't quite perfect too?

I'm really sorry Gray but I have to disagree with you there. I've always found dating very stressful for the bunnies as they have to re-establish dominance every time they are seperated. I agree sometimes this may be needed if the bunnies are getting heated but personally have found that unless the buns are extreamly stressed to the stage you need to call time it is better to only stress them the once rather than multiple times.

Thanks Gray. This is what i was wondering about :? Or maybe have a few days side by side but separate, then go for the normal approach :? Just not sure :(

I'm so sorry you lost Honey, I hadn't posted, as I couldn't find the words, I looked to Ginger after I had seen your thread :(

*hugs*

We always bonded Dave differently to our other bunnies because of his head tilt. We did it free ranging in a neutral room, no pen. We started off doing half an hour a day and building up to an hour the next day, two hours the next, three hours the next and then did a week of just days before moving into his room day and night. Of the bond wasn't going easily at any point we ended it rather than stress him and tried a different bunny.

Malteser is a post EC bun. No head tilt but he lost muscle tone which he never regained.

We searched fof a small bun so they could be as similar in weight as possible, he is only 1.5kg! It was hard but we found a bun for him. Therescue bonded them. Turns out he was totally freaked out the first day so they were put in his pen rather than neutral territory and hit it off! I would have brought him home had I known and not tried again!

However, although he has been knocked a little he is very much looked after. He is so so soft now and the bits I had to clean for him Lolly now takes care of, bunny saliver beats water and cotton wool hands down! He couldn't be happier and they bonded instantly and are inseperable, they bonded enough to return home within 24 hours of meeting, maybe 48hours!

It can be done!

Back