• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Made a decision about Ludo

Hesperus

Warren Veteran
Hi everyone,

I've made (for me) a big decision about Ludo!

Now, I know for a lot of seasoned bunny owners this might seem a simple decision but I've been umming and ahhing for ages over whether or not to have Ludo neutered because he's so delicate what with his poorly tummy and his neurotic mummy (the latter being the biggest problem). I was slightly concerned too about the risk of his personality changing for the worse as he's so perfect now that any change would be devastating and I saw some horror stories on the RWAF facebook page that put me off.

So, I rang the vets twice and discussed it with them and I've also been messaging another well-respected expert (Jane!) for support and advice on the matter and I've tentatively booked him in on April 30th at 8.40am!

I decided I wanted a particular vet to do it because there are two at the practice that are particularly good with rabbits, but one is not so good with people and as I'm so nervous about it I decided to go with the one with the good people skills, and she was fully booked for surgery until the 30th. She was so lovely when Harry had to be pts she kept the practice open especially to see him on a Sunday as an emergency and then the next day she moved all her appointments around on the Monday morning so I could have an appointment before work to be with him when he was pts.

Normally, the vet does a health check on the day and then does the procedure but as I'm so worried I've also got an appointment to chat to the vet as well on the day so I can feel sufficiently reassured and also I can make sure they know all about his special needs!

I've also told them on the phone all about his special diet and they said they said they'll make sure he only gets fed his packed lunch and nothing else!

I hope I'm making the right decision. He's a single house bunny and he shows no unwanted male behaviours yet, but he's only 8 months old. His testicles are, to be polite, small so perhaps he won't be very hormonal, but I don't want him to get to say 4-5 years old when the op is more dangerous and to start humping because that wouldn't be pleasant for him or me especially as we share a living space! I don't want him to be frustrated. If at any point I got a job where I was out of the house (unlikely, as I'm disabled, but who knows?) then he would have the option of a wifebun. Also, he wouldn't be able to get testicular cancer. Finally, mum says if he every sprayed he'd be evicted to the garden and I think the loneliness would kill him if he had to go outside when he's used to being with me for 8-12 hours a day. If I go to London for a day and my sister and Mum look after him when I get back I can tell Ludo has missed me because he headbutts me and no matter how tired I am I end up bringing my pillow into his room and snuggling up on the floor with him for 2 hours or so.

Sorry, this has ended up into a long descriptive prose about my relationship with Ludo, but I love him so much and I just want to make the best decision for his welfare, but at the same time I'm terrified as I've never had any pet have to have an operation before. I trust the vet practice I go to though, they did everything right when he had stasis and I'm sure they'll look after him, I just can't bear the thought of not being there with him, just in case they pick him up wrong or frighten him, as he's a sensitive soul! (Currently asleep next to a pile of paperbacks, he won't like it at the vets :()

Suzie

Little Ruby will need booked in next month for her spay and I'm nervous just like you. I'm quite sure Ludo will be fine and he'll have bucket loads of vibes from us behind him. Xxx

I would take some of his familiar smelling bedding in with him so it can go into his hospital cage. Or a toy that he is familiar with and will smell like home.

I think you have made the right decision for Ludo and once the op' is over there will be no worries about him becoming hormonal and frustrated.

All my Bucks have taken less than 24 hours to be totally back to normal after being neutered. It is a less invasive procedure than a spay and it is usually very straight forward

Dont forget, people are only really likely to post on Forums about problems with regards to neutering. You are not going to see accounts of all the hundreds of thousands of cases that go perfectly well with no complications at all :)

i was so nervous with charlie!!! he was fine the next day and was rattling the bars of his recovery cage:lol:

all the best it sounds like your vet is very good at taking the time to talk through things:thumb:

He'll be fine :love:

Donny and Leo were back to normal within 12 hours, the positions they were lying in were rather :shock: considering :lol: Leo was older, 4 or 5 years old but I was a bit heartless with mine and when it came to neuter/spay I was worried of course but also, 'no, don't care, it's happening' :lol:

Awwww...don't worry - I am sure Ludo will be fine. We were the same about having Bobo neutered - totally neurotic parents. Poor Sheldon just got a pat on the head and left to his own devices:(

We were worried that Bobo's personality would change - but it didn't and nor has Sheldons except they are a prehaps a bit more chilled out. But Bobo is still grumpy and Sheldon is still an imp:love:. Sheldon was 95% back to normal by 9pm the evening of the day he was done. Bobo took a bit longer but he is a big baby anyway:?.

Try not to worry - it's not a nice day when it is happening but much better to get it done and out of the way and you can get on with enjoying him.

You will both be fine! You couldnt even tell that Buster had been to the vets when he came home from his neuter! Looked a bit sorry for himself for about an hour then he was fine, I worried about him and the stitches but that was fine also! x

Iggy bunny is prone to upset tummys and he was just fine so im sure ludo will be too. My perdy bunny was just fine through her spay and she had a heart problem. I think you only hear when things go bad but not the majority which go by without a single issue. I suffer with anxiety and bunny illness is something which keeps me awake a lot so i can completely empathise.

Ludo is an awesome name btw :D

Thanks everyone :love::love::love:

I haven't told Ludo yet what will be happening so that he doesn't worry about it.

I'll be making him a delicious packed lunch of all his favourites on the day and his godparents have told me they will be picking him some of his favourite forage from their garden for the day as well. He'll need a whole suitcase to take in with him!

One question, obviously I haven't spoken to the vet about this yet (I had so many questions I forgot to ask this one!) and it probably says in the information pack coming in the post with the consent form but... will he need pain relief?

Also, will he be ok to sit on hay when he gets home, he always pulls it around and sits in it? I wouldn't want it to knock on the stitches but I don't see how I can stop him eating hay and if he has hay he'll sit in it.

When I had Raph booked in for his castration I felt soo nervous but weirdly enough when I looked up the procedure on YouTube, it made me feel better about it. I know that sounds strange but I think it's because you see that it's pretty straight forward. Don't know if that will help at all, but good luck and hugs for little Ludo :D

When I had Raph booked in for his castration I felt soo nervous but weirdly enough when I looked up the procedure on YouTube, it made me feel better about it. I know that sounds strange but I think it's because you see that it's pretty straight forward. Don't know if that will help at all, but good luck and hugs for little Ludo :D

Oooh that's an idea. I feel a bit sick atm so not tonight, but you know what, that might very well reassure me as in my head it's a huge operation, but it probably isn't! Good idea! Thanks! :thumb:

Sending lots of vibes. I know how you feel - it took me almost a year to work up to having Spenser neutered. I was absolutely beside myself on the day and drank 15 mugs of very strong tea.

Spenser was fine, by the way. :wave:

Both mine recovered so well. The vet made sure that they were eating and drinking before they came home. They do advise against hay to sit on but I just put theirs in a hanging basket suspended from the ceiling of their cage! Best of luck :wave:

Back