• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Do baby rabbits teeth?

Alisong

New Kit
I have an 18 month old boy and have recently got him a little friend. They've bonded superbly luckily but I have a problem with our latest addition. They are house rabbits and live in the large central hall of my flat. I have had little one for about 2 weeks now, she's about 10 weeks old. The past few nights she has started to chew and pull at the metal bars of her cage. The cage is just outside my bedroom and for such a tiny thing she doesn't half make a noise and its waking me up several times a night and keeping me awake.

Could she be teething? Do rabbits teeth? She also nips us when we handle her sometimes. I give them loads of hay and they have loads of wooden toys and cardboard to chew on, I've even started giving them a bit more food before I go to bed to see if this distracts them. I can't move them to another room as there isn't space.

Anybody got any ideas - I really don't want to have to get rid of her because she's gorgeous and my daughter would be devastated but I can't go without sleep for much longer!

Sounds like boredom, rabbits need a lot of space. When one of my rabbits came inside we had her in a 48inch dog crate, that wasn't big enough so we attached a puppy pen, she would chew the bars all the time because she wanted out and wanted to run, so now she free ranged the bedroom.

Do they get shut in the cage? When we go to sleep, that is when rabbits start to wake up. If they are it can be frustration, this can be solved by attaching a tall puppy pen but still allowing free range time. You can turn the cage into a litter tray then.

Is the boy neutered? Also, once my indoor rabbit was spayed it stopped the chewing for a while, then it just started again through boredom.

Yes we shut them up at night. I did consider letting them run free but I was scare of treading on her in the dark when I went to the loo or something! The boy is massive and predominently white so not a problem but she's so tiny and dark grey. Also they're terrors for trying to get into our bedroom and getting under the beds which we wouldn't be able police too well in the dark.

They get free rein on the hallway the rest of the time though and I've given them loads of toys. Maybe a pen would be something to consider. I thought about boredom but even with the cage open they don't really seem to play much, they don't come out loads or scamper about much. They don't seem interested really.

Yes Mr Hoppit has been neutered but I've been advised by the vet to wait until Pepper is 6 months or so until I get her done.

Yeah 6 months is good :thumb:

I would definitely invest in a puppy pen, if you type into google 'puppy pen' there are a few where you can choose the height, I have 2 tall ones and they cost £33 each which is a good price :)

You could get a baby gate for the bedroom door perhaps, or if you can bunny proof the bedroom/hall way that would be great too :) it really sounds like she's frustrated and wants out, rabbits are most active at dawn and dusk so it's not really fair on them to be shut in as I don't think there is one cage on the market that is big enough for a rabbit to be shut in.

We have just passed a homecheck to adopt a rescue bun and their indoor requirement is a 6x6 area or equivalent, so I would aim for as big as you can go :)

Back