• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Buns with ear infections - what can you see?

JackieS

Warren Scout
Just picked Axl up for a general bum check etc and took a look in his ears...he has a little bit of wax in the left ear and in the right ear one of the canals you can see seems to be blocked by something I can only describe as white foam or white looking frog spawn lol

I'm guessing at an ear infection so will schedule him for a vet check up tomorrow to be sure - but was just wondering if that is the sort of thing you might be able to see of there was an infection? (he's neutered, living inside, up to date with vaccine, eating peeing and pooing well, with no signs of head tilt or balance problems)

Thank you Jane - this was my thought too. Will pop to the vets tomorrow with him

A quick question if I might Jane? I've been reading back over old ear infection threads in RU and what's in axls ear sounds like otitis externa (and I know you have just a little bit of experience with this ;))
- if it is indeed otitis externa is a culture essential on initially assessment or is it more routine to send if not responding or getting repeat infections? Is there a standard first line antibiotic or is it culture dependent?

Edited to add: sorry, just seen some of your other posts today and know you have a lot of other things on your mind......understand if you're not wanting to answer questions!

Last edited:
A quick question if I might Jane? I've been reading back over old ear infection threads in RU and what's in axls ear sounds like otitis externa (and I know you have just a little bit of experience with this ;))
- if it is indeed otitis externa is a culture essential on initially assessment or is it more routine to send if not responding or getting repeat infections? Is there a standard first line antibiotic or is it culture dependent?

Edited to add: sorry, just seen some of your other posts today and know you have a lot of other things on your mind......understand if you're not wanting to answer questions!

A C+S test would be useful and until the results are available Baytril is usually the abx prescribed to comply with the Veterinary Drug Prescribing Cascade

http://www.bsava.com/Advice/BSAVAGu...gcascadeandofflabeluse/tabid/360/Default.aspx

Your Vet may also prescribe (Off Licence) Canaural to be applied into the ear canal.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-meds-prescription-only-canaural-c-21_723/canaural-ear-drops-p-225

If there is a lot of pus the Vet will probably clean as much of it out as possible during the consult.

A C+S test would be useful and until the results are available Baytril is usually the abx prescribed to comply with the Veterinary Drug Prescribing Cascade

http://www.bsava.com/Advice/BSAVAGu...gcascadeandofflabeluse/tabid/360/Default.aspx

Your Vet may also prescribe (Off Licence) Canaural to be applied into the ear canal.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-meds-prescription-only-canaural-c-21_723/canaural-ear-drops-p-225

If there is a lot of pus the Vet will probably clean as much of it out as possible during the consult.

Thank you very much :)

Your welcome

Dont forget to ask for some Metacam too. If the Vet does clean out the ear it is likely to be sore afterwards.

Indeed I will :) our vets seem very good with regards to pain relief - gave it for his castration as standard without me even having to ask! Axl will be happy about that as he loves the taste of
Metacam :lol:

Hope you're feeling abit brighter today Jane :)

Vet visit complete - axl thoroughly poked and prodded. Vet took abit of a sample from both ears and examined them under microscope...............no pus, no mites, just a little bit of wax.............so no need to worry *phew*

Back