• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

out of character behaviour.....

hi,

My bunny is a 6 year old lop who lives indoors. He has always enjoyed his food and will usually eat his whole bowl of food, will eat all his hay and his fave veggies- spinach, celery and brocolli. He always drinks quite a bit aswell.
He can gert a bit fussy about his food if he has treats such as chocolate drops which i tend to use for training.

The past 3 days he has just been picking at his food, hardly drinking from his bottle although he will drink from a bowl that i put down. he is only picking at celery and broccolli and tesnds to use the hay for a bed instead of eating it which he never usually does.

He also seems a lot more lazy than usual- he usually runs around frantically trying to get the attention of my cat but now isnt even bothered, he just cleans himself and lays down.

It doesnt seem like much but it os really odd behaviour for him- all i can tell my husband is "he just doesnt seem right"

He has no runny nose, eyes or anything that would indicate a health problem so not sure whats up?

Not sure if it's maybe a seasonal thing or if he's just getting old? he's always been very active, running aorund and exploring, just the past 3 days he would rather just lay down in his cage.

Firstly hello and welcome to RU.:wave:

Your rabbit is 6 years old and the chances are he will have slowed down quite a bit, but you know your bunny best. If he is eating, drinking, pooing and peeing okay that's great but if you are in any doubt whatsoever a quick health check by your vet would be advisable. These dear little creatures can go downhill so quickly. Best to be safe than sorry.

Fingers crossed this is nothing more sinister than him getting older and slowing down.........I know the feeling!!!

Best of luck.:thumb:

Is he moulting? Moulting can make them feel a bit 'fluey' so they can get quiet.

I'd get him checked over by the vet too - fussy eating can be a sign of dental issues.

Have you changed his hay recently? Mine get fussy about new hay.

Hope it's something simple (sure it is)

hello and thank you for your quick replies!

he has been moulting for what seems like forever bless him- he looks like a crazy scientist with hair all over the place untill i can sit and groom him every eve. He still comes over to say hi to me all the time and still lets me fuss over him as normal so nothing strikes me immediatly as being out of place just in general he seems weird.

He usually has meadow hay- he devoured the last bag but isnt so fussed about this bag so i tried him on some nature hay with dandilions and nettles which he picks at.

usually at dinner time in the evening he will start running around waiting for me to put his bowl down and have his head in it before i can even put it back. the past 2 days he just came up to it, sniffed it and went back to the spot he was laying in all day. He has had some celery and a but of broccoli today.

his teeth have always been fine but will be getting them checked tomorrow.

Hopefully he's just having a few quiet days and is slowing down now he's in his twilight years. Love him more than my husband at times so hope he's ok! my sister in law is a ver nurse so i'll be on the phone to her most of the night i reckon!

Could he be too hot? My girl Tia gets moody if she's too hot (the weather changes suddenly).

Have a feel of his belly - he might have a bit of gas (you can give infacol for gas).

I'd check the hay, i had a bad bag, which mine refused to eat.

It sounds like he could be struggling with his moulting bless him :( As has already been mentioned it makes them feel lethargic anyway, and they can have real problems passing the fur through themselves. I've been at the vets already this Spring with one of my buns for this exact reason.

You're already grooming him which is great, try gently plucking him as well, it's a good way of getting out the excess fur. I feel like I'm spending most of my time plucking 2 of mine at the moment as they're moulting profusely :roll:

Definitely get his teeth checked too. Good luck for him :wave:

update....

hi all- so he seems a bit better today- he's nibbling at his hay, food and veggies and is a bit more active. we had a good old groom last night, we'll have another tonight and see how he is tomorrow.

Back