• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering Freddy

vergo97

Warren Scout
Not sure if this should go here or in health.

Freddy went to the vets yesterday and I mentioned neutering him, and the vet said that they could do it although the risk goes up because of him age. This vet has been very good at most things but when my dad asked him how long rabbits live for he said 6 years is good, 7 years max really. They've got Freddy down as being 7 and he said he's looking very good for his age :? Do you think we can still trust this vet with neutering? They're the best vet we've been to and we have tried about 4 others over the years.

Were you thinking of getting Freddy a friend? Rabbits can live to 10 years or even older, but at 7 Freddy certainly isn't young and unless his hormones are troubling him or you are thinking of introducing a friend I would be a little hesitant at sending him for the op.

Don't know what breed freddy is so its difficult to comment.

Giants ~7yrs
Smaller breeds can live for 8-12 years...

A good vet will do a full blood workup pre-neuter for an older bun and give a full checkup to ensure bun is healthy enough to go through the procedure.

Were you thinking of getting Freddy a friend? Rabbits can live to 10 years or even older, but at 7 Freddy certainly isn't young and unless his hormones are troubling him or you are thinking of introducing a friend I would be a little hesitant at sending him for the op.

I agree with this completely.

Yes, I'm thinking of getting another rabbit for Freddy. he's a dwarf lop so not a giant rabbit. Recently I've seen him sort of mounting a toy ball in his shed so I think his hormones might be affecting him as well.

If this is of any re-assurance, I have heard of bunnies of mature years being neutered without any problems. They were fully health checked beforehand and in the best of health too. Any operation always carries risk, but over recent years, surgery and anaesthetics for small animals has literally come on in leaps and bounds. Sorry for the pun.

Bear in mind that any un-neutered animal can run the risk of contracting cancer. In your bunny's case it would be testicular cancer. It doesn't mean that he will contract it if not neutered, but this is something to consider.

Ultimately the decision is up to you. Seek as much advice as possible and then make your informed decision.

Almost forgot to mention...........an elderly bunny of mine, Barnaby, lived to be at least 11 years old!!!!:thumb::thumb:

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Thanks, it's good to know older rabbits have been neutered and it's gone ok.

I'll mention getting Freddy booked in to be neutered next time I see my dad, it would be so amazing to see him with a friend and by what people say on here he would be so much happier.

Back