• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny dilemma, advice welcomed!

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Ok, so Olly needs a friend. We can clearly see that. So this afternoon we went to see some bunnies in Lancaster. It's so so difficult, because she needs to be right for Olly, but we won't know until they meet what they'll be like. I think Olly is going to be terrified at first, he was scared of a toy bunny we put in front of him the other day :( I think he needs somebun who is fairly confident but very gentle and affectionate. Today we saw two possibilities. One was a very pretty girl called Summer, who actually licked my nose when I stuck it through the bars (I always do this to see how they react :lol:) which was lovely, but apparently she is rather territorial (bites if you put your hand in apparently) and very lively (not neutered yet though, so she may calm down). The other, Petula (name would have to change!) is a little black lop who was rescued after spending 2 years in a tiny hutch :(. She is a bit nervous but let me stroke her after sniffing me, I think she would be ok once settled. But would she be confident enough to look out for Olly? It's a real dilemma and I don't know who would be better suited. Plus, I know this shouldn't be an issue, but I love showing off my buns by posting pics, and it's so so hard to get a nice pic of a black bunny!

Any thoughts welcome :wave:

I've not been in this position, but just wanted to wish you well in finding the right friend for Olly.

There are lots of black bunny fans on here, you take such good pictures I'm sure you would have lots to show off.

I've not been in this position, but just wanted to wish you well in finding the right friend for Olly.

There are lots of black bunny fans on here, you take such good pictures I'm sure you would have lots to show off.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're lovely! I'm not saying they aren't :wave: that's just a little afterthought really :oops:
Neither of them are neutered so I need to decide quick so they can be booked in asap...

My Poppy was a black bunny and yes-they are shockingly hard to get a good picture of :lol:, Poppy always looked like a right grumpy chops, but that sets a nice little challenge for you-getting nice photos.

Black buns are often hard to re-home because they are less popular so perhaps a black timid bun would be perfect for you and Olly. Not only would the bunny hopefully help Olly but also you could help her.

I wish I could have her :lol:;)

I had the same feeling with Java when we were looking for a new mate for him a couple of months ago: he's always been quite timid, and the best word to describe him generally is probably 'uptight'. So when we went to the adoption centre and we had a choice of two ladybuns: an albino rexy confident type, and Spice, who was very floppy and quiet and cuddly, we obviously chose Spice thinking that she'd be less of a shock for him.

Little did we know.

Spice is lovely with people, and her flops have been spectacular since day 1, but her favourite past time is nibbling Java's bum! The poor thing was incredibly confused when we introduced them the first time and she started chasing him around in circles (they're both fixed, she's just rather energetic), but I'm fairly confident he's not too upset from all the binkying ;) So much for quiet and cuddly though...

My point is, pick the ladybun that you like the personality of, because everyone knows you have no hope telling bunnies what to do! :)

Go with your gut instinct I think. Although maybe it's the 'better' thing to do to take the black one because you'd be taking one out of a rescue, if you don't feel you can bond with her as well, then take the other one.

It's not just black that doesn't take a good picture, Ludo's magpie harlequin markings don't photograph well either, they reflect the light back. I have to take about 60 to get one reasonable picture, and even then he's far more handsome in real life. :lol:

I would personally go for the quieter one, the black bun. as I find that type bonds much easier rather than a lively, territorial bunny. She could take ages to calm down (months)in fact, and you will never know which would be best at looking out for Olly unless you could try them both. A quieter rabbit would possibly be more caring to another bunny rather than one that is full of itself.

I love black buns, I wanted one but ended up with Doughnut as saw her and just feel in love!

I'm rooting for the little black bun in the rescue and will want lots of pics of her. I'm sure her confidence will grow with your love and trust.

Well done for looking out for Olly and not thinking about your grief. I hope whoever you choose it is an easy bond.

Thank you everyone, i think i will go with the black one... I just hope her bad background won't affect her attitude to other buns :?

Back