• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food Help Following Dental Please

Our small mini rex Hudol (aka Bunby) had a dental yesterday. He stopped eating Saturday afternoon and after being advised to give him metroclomide, ranitidine and metacam as directed by the vet on the phone on Saturday evening, as he still wasn't eating we took him to the vet yesterday. Originally the vet could see ulcers on the tongue and two small spurs. The vet said he would give an anaesethic and have a closer look when he did the spurs although they were very small. When we picked Hudol up hour and a half later we were faced with awful news. Bunby's jaw is deformed and the bottom teeth are closing in around the tongue almost trapping it hence the ulcers either side of his mouth.

He has had more metoclopamide, ranitidene and metacam. The vet also advised to keep syringe feeding and to run a very small amount of Dentinox around his mouth. He has picked at some lettuce and carrot tops, is picking up hay but then doesn't eat it.

What can I try to tempt him? Something soft? Tried banana, soaked pellets but not interested. He won't eat or drink on his own accord.

I have rung the vet (not our normal one as he is off today and tomorrow). I was advised to keep him on the medication and to keep syringing food.

Any help appreciated please? :wave:

Has he had a metacam injection? If his gut has stopped the oral metacam doesn't work properly, I think, although if the gut stimulants are working I guess it won't have completely stopped...

Offer the recovery/critical care food in a bowl as well, in case he wants that. Offer all his favourite foods - more carrot tops etc if he is eating those. Keep favourite foods, soaked pellets and dry pellets around him in case he decides to try them overnight. You may need to syringe him water as well.

Fibreplex may help, do you have that?

Do not try this if he has had gut problems in the past, as this does have the potential to make things worse because of the sugar content, if the sugar upsets his gut, but you could try putting a small amount of pure pineapple or carrot juice (check the label for any added nasties) in his water and maybe put a little on his lips to show him it's nice. Like I said it is high in sugar so make sure you dilute it a lot and it does come with a risk factor... so you may not want to try it. But I did it under advice of my vet (admittedly not a very rabbit-savvy one) when Barney refused to drink anything for days after his neuter, and it did get him drinking. edit: I say pineapple and carrot because they are strong-tasting so can be diluted a fair bit whilst retaining the flavour, I found apple juice had to be a lot stronger to be considered worth drinking and more juice= more sugar.

Last edited:
aww poor Bunby :cry: I know what you are going through and it is such a worry.

It can take a few days after a dental before buns can feel like eating again. Continue with syringe feeding him food and water if he is happy for you to do so and continue with pain relief and metoproclamide till he shows interest in eating again. Keep tempting him with his favourite foods...fruit and dandelion seems to be the first things bun go for..maybe a little bread.

What dosage is his metacam?

Also, I agree with Nessar...add a little pinapple/apple juice to his water or try him with cold fruit tea if you have some. Also, keep a good variety of different foods around him to try..he may have a nibble when you are not looking, or during the night.

In addition to the other posters, I usually get lots of different veg/herbs in to tempt them. I find kale and thyme to be 2 of the things the go for first, also carrot tops or some grated carrots. Also try some parsley and coriander. Costs a fortune but if you buy it in the posts it will grow back ;)

Hope he is feeling better soon.

He has taken some carrot tops, quite a few stems actually - 5! He has also ate biggest part of a leaf (the long thin types) of Romaine lettuce. He is picking hay up (I have put three different types in with him) and he is snapping it in half but not eating it. He has ulcers on his tongue so I guess the hay will aggravate them. I have normal pellets and soaked pellets, dried dandelion and popcorn, the type that is sold at the vets - he usually loves this and has it as a treat one or twice a week and the three pieces he normally has is wolfed down in seconds but not over the last couple of days. :(
He is on 0.72 metacam (dog) the maximum he can have. He can have this for 4 days and then cut down to half of that.

He is alert, grooming himself and hopping around chinning everything. He has poo'd a little and they look like little tadpoles - I'm just grateful that he has done anything at all at present.

I have never had a dental bun before. He is less than a year old, fit, healthy and VERY handsome. I really love this bun and can't bear the thought of losing him. I have already lost Crystal (the rescue bun) and Buttercup (my original girl bun) in the last two months.

He has just wee'd as I am writing this and it seems a lot lighter now than it has been. I am dipping all his food in water before offering it to him to help his fluid intake.

He really doesn't want me to syringe him anything.

Please send vibes for my lovely lovely boy.

His mouth will still be sore. Did the vet give any abx i his mouth was cut to help it heal?

Sounds like he is improving slowly but just keep trying any food you can.

BUNBY IS EATING!! Not a lot but eating!!!

I will need further advice about dental buns later on but plan to check with the vet exactly what we are facing first.

I will not give up on this little man :love::love:

I will need further advice about dental buns later on but plan to check with the vet exactly what we are facing first.

Dental bunnies keep us on our toes, that is for sure. It is great that he is starting to eat, you will see him pick up now. I would recommend that you have some Oxbow Bunny basics (fine blend) in your first aid as it really helped my dental bun get his appetitie back after a GA. It is smooth to syringe and sometimes they will lick it off a spoon or saucer.

Dental bunnies keep us on our toes, that is for sure. It is great that he is starting to eat, you will see him pick up now. I would recommend that you have some Oxbow Bunny basics (fine blend) in your first aid as it really helped my dental bun get his appetitie back after a GA. It is smooth to syringe and sometimes they will lick it off a spoon or saucer.

Will get some of that next time I am in the vets, have to take two for vaccinations soon so will stock up then!

Thanks xx

Sometimes it's really hard to make a bun eat after a dental. My bun will refuse food she ate before the dental for months just because she remembers the pain from eating it. What I do is that I offer a very large variety of food, see what she prefers and feed it with it until she's back on track

Back