• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Who has had a very dirty bale of hay ? Full of clods of earth.

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
The lastest bale of hay we bought it full of enormous clumps of dirt. One was nearly a foot long. Its as if the machine they were using to reap the hay was taking up the first layer of earth.

I had to take it outside and break it up into over a dozen smaller bags and throw away nearly 3 bulging bags of completely dirt encrusted hay. Is this normal ?

Gosh that is pretty bad. I once found a clod in a bag of alfalfa hay which seemed to make it dusty as well.

Gosh that is pretty bad. I once found a clod in a bag of alfalfa hay which seemed to make it dusty as well.

I thought so to. Next time I will go with James to check the bale as they are normally really good. The buns are eating it and thankfully I ordered a bag of Timothy hay so that is going down a treat and the only hay I give to the chins.

When I clean them out the bottom of the buns bases has a thick layer of dirt. :roll: At first I thought the hay was full of cow pats. :lol:

My hay bales used to have the occasional clod of earth in, but never that big :shock:

My Hay For Pets bag has had loads in this time, thankfully fairly small, about the size of my fist or smaller, and it doesn't bother the buns.

My hay bales used to have the occasional clod of earth in, but never that big :shock:

My Hay For Pets bag has had loads in this time, thankfully fairly small, about the size of my fist or smaller, and it doesn't bother the buns.

I store the bale inside so it isn't pleasant. :lol: That is why I took it outside and bagged it up into smaller bags, the dirt was falling out everywhere.

Must have been sod laws, but not as bad as someone on here who found a dead bird in their bale.

My latest bale has some in it, also smells a bit odd. My granddad's funeral is tomorrow but Weds I'm going to call them and see if I can get another one as I'm worried this one has got damp at some point. At the moment I'm picking out the bits that smell sweet and binning the stuff which isn't right.

I'm not impressed with my last bale from the feed merchants. Usually, it is lovely and smells amazing but the last bale was dusty with clods of earth. I have ended up buying a bale of Dust-Free hay for Smokey.

Back