• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Rolo - advice please

Roly Poly

Warren Veteran
I'm a little bit worried about Rolo and know you clever bunny people will be able to offer some advice.

He's his normal self, eating pellets, treats, veg and pooping as usual, but he's not touching his hay. Now most of you are probably aware that Rolo is not a big hay eater and has to be persuaded daily to have a munch but today he doesn't even want to take it from my hand.

He had his pellets this morning and dived on them with his usual vigour, they were gone in seconds! He's also eaten a little bit of carrot and a fenucreek crunchie and he's still really keen to eat his dandelion and marigold mix.

I know that rabbits use different teeth for hay but wouldn't he use the same teeth to break down the dandelion?

Just after some advice really xx

I dream of Rolo and his hay! :lol:
I can't remember how many pellets you are feeding and what hay you are trying.
Seems a bit mean, I know, but I would cut out the treats (fen crunchies).

I dream of Rolo and his hay! :lol:
I can't remember how many pellets you are feeding and what hay you are trying.
Seems a bit mean, I know, but I would cut out the treats (fen crunchies).

He only has a small amount of pellets each morning, I cut them right back to try and encourage more hay eating - it didn't work :lol:

As for hay, you name it and I've tried it - up until today he's been eating the green oat hay, not huge amounts of course but enough that I haven't worried too much.

He had his teeth checked just before Christmas and they were fine x

I would get them checked again. 4 months is a very long time in terms of Rabbit teeth growth and as you say he is a poor hay eater I would not be at all surprised if his molars are now too long and he may have some spurs too.

I agree, if he isn't a big hay eater then those spurs will grow back quickly. Pebbles spurs have been growing back in 2 weeks because he hasn't been eating his normal amount of pellets (due to his heart condition he stopped eating).

In fact, I had to increase Pebbles pellets up to 60g a day, because, like you, reducing them did not make him eat any hay..he just lost weight and spurs grew. On 60 g split into 3 meals a day, he was keeping his maloccluded molar worn down and his spurs were also worn down so he only needed dentals every 9 months.

Good luck. Such a worry these buns of ours.

I was very shocked when Mr Bennett had to have two dentals within 6 weeks.

Mega vibes for Rolo tomorrow.

Sending vibes for Rolo. Does he care for orchard grass at all? Spenser is fussy with hay but will eat this - not in huge quantities, but he does seem to quite like it.

Sending vibes for Rolo. Does he care for orchard grass at all? Spenser is fussy with hay but will eat this - not in huge quantities, but he does seem to quite like it.

Yes, I've tried it with him - as with most of the hays I've tried, he'll nibble the odd bit but not with any enthusiasm!

Rabbits - who'd have them? :lol:

Hopefully, the vet will sort him out tomorrow - really nervous about taking him but I know it's the right thing to do.

He's just hopped into his pen and munched some hay of his own accord!

Do you think he could have just had an off day?

Good morning everyone,

I've just got up to give Rolo his breakfast, he leapt out of his pen and dived into his pellets as usual and he does seem to have eaten some hay overnight.

I really don't know what to - I would never deny him treatment but from past experience, a trip to the vets always stresses him out so much, he ends up stopping eating!

I'm so confused and I'm on my own today as kids are in school and hubby's in work.

Good morning everyone,

I've just got up to give Rolo his breakfast, he leapt out of his pen and dived into his pellets as usual and he does seem to have eaten some hay overnight.

I really don't know what to - I would never deny him treatment but from past experience, a trip to the vets always stresses him out so much, he ends up stopping eating!

I'm so confused and I'm on my own today as kids are in school and hubby's in work.

http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-health-feeding/wont-eat-poor-appetite/

ive read this if its any help

I'm the same, i hate taking mine to the vets as they get soo stressed, he sounds like he is behaving normally for him, but it's whether or not you're worried about his teeth, mind you my vet always says she can only see a certain amount of the teeth and to see them fully would mean general anaesthetic! Is rolo a dental bun?

I'm the same, i hate taking mine to the vets as they get soo stressed, he sounds like he is behaving normally for him, but it's whether or not you're worried about his teeth, mind you my vet always says she can only see a certain amount of the teeth and to see them fully would mean general anaesthetic! Is rolo a dental bun?

Rolo has only had one dental thankfully as it took him quite a while to recover - checks on his teeth since have all been ok x

If it was me, personally, i would still take him to the vets as i wouldnt rest until i knew it wasn't his teeth:roll:

Back