• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes Please/UD bladder sludge

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
Mona was straining to pee this morning. Eating ok, drinking and pooing, seemed bright otherwise.But she strained and lifted her bottom high and nothing came out. I could also discern a barely audible huffing noise from her nose when she strained. OH is on his way to the vet now. I suspect it may be bladder or kidney related or even a blockage in the urethra and presume she will be kept in. She is very old and a lot weaker now so there is a limit as to what the vet can do, we are not sure for example that she would survive an op. If you have any spare vibes please send them on for a very brave old lady.

Last edited:
Megavibes coming for (((((((((((((((((((Mona)))))))))))))))))))) and thinking of you as well. I'm sorry to hear she is poorly. :(

Sending lots of vibes for her

If she is now relatively immobile she may have a lot of sludge in her bladder. If so hopefully the Vet could gently express it for her without the need to catheterise her.

OH just called, it was bladder sludge. Apparently after a wee massage she did a huge pee with sludge in it. She has got a steroid diuretic and ibuprofen for her mobility issues, she has two weeks worth. Vet also thinks she should be bedded on newspaper as he thinks her skin might be sensitive. She is on vet bed just now but we'll try that. There is a follow up appointment next week but fingers crossed things
will start to improve. We also need to stay off high calcium foods like alfalfa hay and get her to drink more.

Thank you for all the vibes guys :)

OH just called, it was bladder sludge. Apparently after a wee massage she did a huge pee with sludge in it. She has got a steroid diuretic and ibuprofen for her mobility issues, she has two weeks worth. Vet also thinks she should be bedded on newspaper as he thinks her skin might be sensitive. She is on vet bed just now but we'll try that. There is a follow up appointment next week but fingers crossed things
will start to improve. We also need to stay off high calcium foods like alfalfa hay and get her to drink more.

Thank you for all the vibes guys :)

She had steroids and Ibuprofen :shock:

Are you sure :?

She had steroids and Ibuprofen :shock:

Are you sure :?

That is what OH said. He is home now though. They are tablets, one lot Prednisolone (she had these after her stroke as well) and the other type are called Bendrofluazide.

Is this wrong, could it harm Mona if I give here these? I'm not sure what the Bendro one is, never had that before but I think the Pred has a steriod in it? Think I'll google these.

ETA

Ok so Prednisolone is a synthetic glucocorticoid, a derivative of cortisol, which is used to treat a variety of inflammatory and auto-immune conditions. It is the active metabolite of the drug prednisone and is used especially in patients with hepatic failure, as these individuals are unable to metabolise prednisone into prednisolone. Mona does get a sore back so I presume that is what this is for.

And Bendroflumethiazide (INN), formerly bendrofluazide (BAN), is a thiazide diuretic used to treat hypertension.

Bendroflumethiazide is a thiazide diuretic which works by inhibiting sodium absorption at the beginning of the distal convoluted tubule (DCT). Water is lost as a result of more sodium reaching the collecting ducts. Bendroflumethiazide has a role in the treatment of mild heart failure although loop diuretics are better for reducing overload. The main use of bendroflumethiazide currently is in hypertension (part of the effect is due to vasodilation). So that will be for the sludge.

Does that make more sense Jane? OH is not up on medical terms really so he might have muddled things with words he is more familiar with when he was on the phone to me. But I have seen the medication now and both types are in tablet form.

Last edited:
That is what OH said. He is home now though. They are tablets, one lot Prednisolone (she had these after her stroke as well) and the other type are called Bendrofluazide.

Is this wrong, could it harm Mona if I give here these? I'm not sure what the Bendro one is, never had that before but I think the Pred has a steriod in it? Think I'll google these.

ETA

Ok so Prednisolone is a synthetic glucocorticoid, a derivative of cortisol, which is used to treat a variety of inflammatory and auto-immune conditions. It is the active metabolite of the drug prednisone and is used especially in patients with hepatic failure, as these individuals are unable to metabolise prednisone into prednisolone. Mona does get a sore back so I presume that is what this is for.

And Bendroflumethiazide (INN), formerly bendrofluazide (BAN), is a thiazide diuretic used to treat hypertension.

Bendroflumethiazide is a thiazide diuretic which works by inhibiting sodium absorption at the beginning of the distal convoluted tubule (DCT). Water is lost as a result of more sodium reaching the collecting ducts. Bendroflumethiazide has a role in the treatment of mild heart failure although loop diuretics are better for reducing overload. The main use of bendroflumethiazide currently is in hypertension (part of the effect is due to vasodilation). So that will be for the sludge.

Does that make more sense Jane? OH is not up on medical terms really so he might have muddled things with words he is more familiar with when he was on the phone to me. But I have seen the medication now and both types are in tablet form.

It was the Ibuprofen that made me :shock: :?

It was the Ibuprofen that made me :shock: :?

Me too at the time but I thought it must be ok as they (vets in general) do or did prescribe human meds for use in animals. I'm glad it's not the case here though. OH is adamant that is what the vet said but on reading about prednisolone there is no mention of ibuprofen. I think he must have gotten confused by the fact they are both anti inflammatory meds.

Me too at the time but I thought it must be ok as they (vets in general) do or did prescribe human meds for use in animals. I'm glad it's not the case here though. OH is adamant that is what the vet said but on reading about prednisolone there is no mention of ibuprofen. I think he must have gotten confused by the fact they are both anti inflammatory meds.

The Vet probably said something like 'the prednisolone will have a similar effect to Ibuprofen' as he was explaining what he was prescribing :) Vet thought that your OH would know about Ibuprofen and so used the analogy

The Vet probably said something like 'the prednisolone will have a similar effect to Ibuprofen' as he was explaining what he was prescribing :) Vet thought that your OH would know about Ibuprofen and so used the analogy

Yep this is probably exactly what happened.

I have seen a dandelion tincture that I could add to Mona's water. As it is a natural diuretic it might help to dilute the urine but if she is already getting a medical diuretic would I do more harm the good by adding the dandelion. I will also be getting her dried dandelions to eat. Do you think it would be ok to proceed along that route?

Millions of get better vibes from me. My Inca has so many urine & bladder issues so I know how hard it can be to get on top of things x

Millions of get better vibes from me. My Inca has so many urine & bladder issues so I know how hard it can be to get on top of things x

Thank you, these days it seems like one thing after another. I think her body is giving up but mentally she is still alert and still has some quality of life although it's not the same anymore. I do wonder if I am being cruel sometimes, keeping her alive:(

Back