• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Showing

Autumn

Warren Scout
Does anyone show their rabbits?
Curious as to what it involves really. I have no interest in breeding which I'm aware that most people who show do but I'd like to maybe pop tithe odd local show with the kids!

Out of curiosity, are the shows that aren't for perfect rabbits, i.e. pet ones focused on keeping them nicely any better?

ETA: I'm not taking Ludo to one, he doesn't like going downstairs let alone leaving the house!

I don't care how gorgeous my bun was... I wouldn't put it through that... that vid was horrid, why do they keep picking the Nethies up slightly and then dropping them??!!

I don't know about pet focused ones, but I know my bun would be scared to leave the house and I wouldn't want to stress him ..

I don't care how gorgeous my bun was... I wouldn't put it through that... that vid was horrid, why do they keep picking the Nethies up slightly and then dropping them??!!

I don't know about pet focused ones, but I know my bun would be scared to leave the house and I wouldn't want to stress him ..

its to make them sit in a "nice" position :roll:

My friend went for a nosy once...the owners were cleaning their rabbit's paws with Vanish stain remover stick :shock: Decided she didn't want to move into showing her bun afterall!

I was curious as to what it'd be like. The video confirmed I never want to go. I'd rather have Marley jumping on my plate a thousand times and being a terror than put him through that.

Ludo would be great at showing................................... as long as the show took place in his room, on his blanket... he doesn't mind being touched and moved around as long as he's not actually picked up.

Again, does anyone show? Not looking to be judged, just wanting opinions of people with experience.

No experience, but personally I would not show.
I know my bunnies would get too stressed out, and I would not be willing to subject them to that.

My friend years ago had a lovely Rex that she took to a 'pet show'/farmers market show thingy years ago and she won a ribbon.
But I don't know what it entailed, so can't be of any help.

I wouldn't show unless your rabbit likes being picked up and used to people and is confident with noises. Honestly I think they're best started off at a young to get used to the environment then they will let you know if they want to go or not. Small pet shows tend to be be hands on like that, but it's one on one without other rabbits on the table and they look for cuteness and being friendly, or whatever the ribbons are (longest ears, cutest face ect) so might just be cuddled rather than looking at confirmation.

I've never showed rabbits, but I've had a few rats go into pet shows, some I knew would cope and loved meeting people, and getting fusses and others hated it, I had four I took to this fun monthly one, from when they were 6 weeks old, but as they got older two hated it and would hide when I got the carrier out and told them we're going, the other two would cling to the side of the cage in excitement. So the two who hated it I left at home. If they're in the show, then it can be boring for them since they're mostly in their tank until taken out to cuddle.

Again, does anyone show? Not looking to be judged, just wanting opinions of people with experience.

Very few people on here show their Rabbits. Those who do are also Breeders. You may find out more from a site geared more toward Breeding/Showing. The British Rabbit Council have a list of Show Dates. I would say go along to one and see what it is like for yourself

Pet Shows are not for my Rabbits either. But again if you find out about one local to you go and take a look around. The only way you will be able to make an informed choice is to see first hand what goes on at Rabbit shows/Pet Shows

Harley was 'shown' before she came to me (she was disqualified for having a different colour toe nail :shock:) - she was 14 weeks olds when I got her so they do start at an early age. I wouldn't say that she was in anyway a scared, traumatised bunny when she came to me but I think that was because her breeder/owner was so good with her rabbits and ensured her bunnies left her as fully confident, well balanced animals.

I personally wouldn't put my bunnies in any show - they wouldn't like it and don't see the point anyway - I KNOW my bunnies are the best in the world ;):lol:

I do show :wave: any specific questions feel free to ask... I would stress most pet rabbits would not be suitable to take to a show, rabbits need to be adjusted to changes, travelling, handling etc from a very young age (4 weeks ish

I've heard horrible experiences from people who have gone to rabbit shows.
The bunnies being handled roughly.
Children running past their cages and screaming at the bunnies trapped inside :cry:
Bunnies who are only kept in tiny hutches when not being shown.
Apparently show rabbits have to be unspayed/unneutered too which is awful.
So they are kept alone, unneutered so hormones are all over the place, rough handled, crammed into tiny cages, have people grabbing at them and being loud around them. What kind of life is that for a bunny. All for a poxy certificate. All seems so wrong to me.
Showing and breeding are both things I will NEVER agree with.

Back