• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not very Rabbit savvy...

kazz

Alpha Buck
But desperately wanting to learn! I know I've probably come across as a bit of a pain or annoying with questions lately but I saved Marley from being PTS and I want to give him and his future wifey the best life I can. I am absolutely in love with him and he takes presidence over everything :lol:. I worry so much after things I read on here and then relate to him because I'm not 100% sure what everything is. I want to know if theres a specific book that will explain all the things I need to know in depth? E.g. diseases, parasites, infections, teeth, general health etc. Just so I have an idea. I desperately want to be very clued up on rabbits so I know exactly whats what.

I worry so much I might be missing something and that the vet I use isn't too rabbit savvy as its my OH's. Can someone give me books, websites, articles that can help me be rabbit savvy? The stuff I read I never know whether its reliable or not.

Thanks in advance

My dad came home from work with a book for me the other day called 'rabbitlopedia' and while it was written in 2000 and the 'large hutches' are pretty shocking, the bit at the back has an excellent glossary with all illnesses etc which is interesting :)

I have Tamsins book on bunnies but that's more behaviour etc.

I think it was mentioned on here about a book coming out in October that would be good :D

My dad came home from work with a book for me the other day called 'rabbitlopedia' and while it was written in 2000 and the 'large hutches' are pretty shocking, the bit at the back has an excellent glossary with all illnesses etc which is interesting :)

I think it was mentioned on here about a book coming out in October that would be good :D

I've got the Rabbitlopedia, yes, some of the stuff on hutches is old and it's very matter of fact to rabbits being used for fur and food (which they are I suppose, but some RUers may find distressing). However, I've come back to it time and time again over health issues, I've had the book for years and found it very reliable and interesting. I'll give an example, if you were worried about red wee, you could look it up and it would tell you that some foods can do that and not to worry, so for a beginner owner that would be so useful. It also has pictures of bunny skeletons (pictures, not photos, so not gross) . I'd also recommend it! :thumb:

Anyone who is keen to learn and listen to advice is definitely not a pain you have done a lovely thing

I ask lots of questions too but I mainly try to read all the stickied 'old useful topics' or search to see if anyone else has asked a similar question before. There's so much good information on here that I think is much better than a book :)

Ialso have these books.I refer to both quite alot but would also be interested in other recommended reading.

Thank you for all replies :thumb:

Ive seen the book list on here and the one at nearly 80 pound looks thorough but I dunno if its ideal for what I'm needing with it being titled rabbit medicine?

I'll look for a copy of the rabbitlopedia, I have read quite a lot of threads on here but I like books to read in bed etc. Unless I take out the helpful bits and make a go to guide type thing with one od my old uni folders...

Please keep the suggestions coming! I want to be a pro! :lol:

Have you read 'Stories Rabbits Tell"? It's not about medicine, but it really is a must read for any rabbit owner.

Got it in the basket! Is the 'Rabbits for Dummies' book any good? The content page looks detailed but I remember from the dog one I used in an assignment they're brief...

Rabbitopedia is good, if slightly out of date. I often look things up if I am worried.

Asking your vet and 'Bunny people' always helps too. This forum has been a massive help to me :D

I've just read one of the threads on E. cuniculi and I could cry :/ gonna try to get Marley into the vets for tomorrow due to his nose still being wet and having slightly runny eyes but he's also been drinking loads too with a couple of wees on his bedding. And he's started to sit more hunched rather than splaying his legs out behind him. I am worrying so much, I'm gonna ask for blood tests for definite.

I'm looking forward to getting my books though and I'm glad I joined the forum for the knowledge I've gained.

Got it in the basket! Is the 'Rabbits for Dummies' book any good? The content page looks detailed but I remember from the dog one I used in an assignment they're brief...

:thumb: I liked Rabbits for Dummies, definitely won't teach you everything, but it was a good supplement. I'd also look in the animal section of your local library, the only rabbit book I own is Stories Rabbits Tell (and that was an Easter gift) because there were a lot at my library.

Back