• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit depression is it common?

andy5898

Warren Scout
I have 6 buns living in 3 different hutches/playhouses etc.

Anyway my little lion head and his wife seem to be a bit depressed. They are eating fine I know my little lad hasn't been well but we are through this he had a respitory infection but we are all cleared up now. I personally believe they are both a bit depressed with the weather. Yet again it has been raining here and so both of them are sat there in there hutch just looking out waiting for the rain to stop. I am in the process of having built and designed a big bunny village for them all so they will have more room inside which should cheer them up.

I just wondered does anyone else feel the weather depresses there buns?

Everyone has access to there runs all the time. I know the setup is fine and far better than the RWAF recommend. Which is why I am sure it is the weather causing there depression. I just wondered if anyone else had experience of weather related depression in rabbits, or if it is just perhaps me reading too much into it and my pair are quite happy in there hutch just waiting for the rain to ease.

Maybe some toys would help. Are the runs covered? If not maybe covering part of them so they can go out without getting wet would be worth trying

I will try toys infact I will rotate them with there neighbours once they have been cleaned etc. The runs are covered with only a foot in the middle being uncovered. The new runs and houses I am getting are looking more like a cattery so I am thinking about getting the runs all covered completley. Especially as they are going to be 5ft tall so I can get in easy to them to clean them.

Better email the guy designing there new homes to ask him to amend the design for the 400th time! I have spent more time designing there new home and amending it than I have deciding on the house we bought last year! Being all rescue bunnies though the deserve to be spoilt which is why i am concerned about depression!:D

I think it could be due to age in some buns. My Bugsy & Chloe are 5 & 4, so I wouldn't say old..but maybe middle aged. But they don't want to do anything apart from lay around. they are indoor buns, have tunnels, toys and chew sticks etc. but I thought they were bored. So I put them out in the lovely afternoon sun today on the grass, and they didn't do much apart from nibble, lay down and groom...exactly as they do indoors :roll: I think some buns just look depressed/bored when really they are quite happy to be lazy!

Hiya, i think they are just enjoying watching the rain, its very relaxing and rabbits love to sit and watch the world go by :D

I've found certain herbs seem to cheer rabbits up.
It's just a matter of experimenting.
My first rabbit was always very giddy after snacking on Basil (despite her name being Parsley).
My current pair cheer up when they have had Coriander & Lavender respectively.

Well my little lad was still not right so I decided had to go to the vets tonight. On the plus side Rog hasn't got the respitory infection back. But turns out he needs a dental his teeth looks like they causing him a bit of pain. Does explain why he is avoiding pellets at the minute if his teeth are hurting.

Either way looks like once he has a dental hopefully he will be back firing on all cylinders!

Back