• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you guys clean out the buns in the rain?

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
There's been nought but rain for over a week now. There is finally a break in the weather so I am going to run out and try and get it done.

But if you guys need to clean them out and it is raining, how do you go it without everything getting soaked :? In a hutch and run I mean

I was outside in all weathers every day for 4 years:lol: now they're in a shed its so much easier, unless they try and help :roll: :lol:

When Donny and Lola were in the hutch and run and I had to get in the run to clean them out it got frustrating because of the wind, I just tried to do everything quickly and get the cover back over the run. On wet days I would take half the amount of time I usually would so their litter tray didn't get soaked or put the hay in the litter tray in my dads shed and top up their hay racks quick time.

I just used to wear a coat and put my hood up.
I didn't have a hutch for very long though, if it was a long term thing I'd put up one of those little gazebos, that should keep the rain off the run as well as you, making the space more usable for your buns in this weather.

I have a big clear tarp on the hutch and run and I always thought of maybe getting someone to cover it back over while I am in there. But it would provably be very sqaushed :S

My buns hay was only in their litter tray and hay racks so while I sorted the tray out I'd just quickly cover them over again. It might just be a case of being speedy :lol:

I have a big clear tarp on the hutch and run and I always thought of maybe getting someone to cover it back over while I am in there. But it would provably be very sqaushed :S

I leave mine on, have to crouch down to get into the run and Wendy house which is really uncomfortable but at least the buns and their run stay dry.

used to be a nightmare with a hutch. And sometimes if the rain was blowing in, I could end up changing it several times a day when it was raining. Shed is an absolute pleasure to clean out in the pouring rain, although, they don't want to go out in the rain, so they're inside pulling the dirty hay out of the bag, as I'm trying to shovel it in :roll::lol:

Full waterproofs and wellies!

I do the upstairs hutch first, then recover quickly with plastic blind. Then underneath hutch. Rear of run, then put back onto the hutch as quickly as possible, and put down blinds on the run again. Then front of run. Finally cleaning out litter tray and replacing with fresh hay. We also have a plastic corigated roof on the run, which helps too.

I've got it down to a fine art now, and it's even quicker when OH helps too!

Bungee usually runs into the outbuilding and waits until it's all done! :roll:

Back