• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Castration support group/thread.

oldmcdonaldsfarm

Warren Scout
This thread goes out to all those little guys who are having their "coughs" removed this week coming.

This is a support group for the poor little fellas.

My Stewart is going in on Thursday, he's 6.5 years old now so I'm worrying like mad already.

So heres to all the little guys who are due this week.

big :thumb: to you all.

Heres my Stu....

179033_10200369446112185_1149435771_n.jpg

Ludo hasn't got a date or time yet, but we'll be ringing the vet either tomorrow or Tuesday. They're quick with their appointments so I imagine this week or early next, if he passes his health check, but he should he's not long been to the vet what with his sensitive tummy and he's only 8 months old:

Good luck to Stu, he's very handsome :love::love:

Oh, and I'm worrying like mad too! Not because of Ludo's age, but because he had stasis and he's so delicate, I worry he'll stop eating. So, perhaps everyone finds something to worry about, I just saw you're worried about Stu's age.

I think us humans are worse than the rabbits! :lol:

Did they give him pain relief? Why is he wearing a cone collar? I thought bunnies in general weren't meant to have these (although I know in some cases they are needed) as it stops them being able to cecotroph etc. I've only had one bunny castrated but he didnt need a cone.

Hope he will be ok and will bounce back in a couple of days but do give the vets a ring or take him back if you are concerned. Sending vibes for his recovery x

Awww poor little boy, perhaps he just needs a good rest and his familiar smells and he'll perk up.

When Ludo was poorly in March he'd only eat and drink if I sat with him and hand fed him and actually held a bottle to his mouth... perhaps try that with Stu?

Sending him lots of vibes. xx

How is Stu this morning?

Just got up and am thinking about him...

Hey. Thanks for thinking of him.

He seems ok. Sill wearing his collar which is why he hasn't settled. He spent most of him time hiding under the bed.

I had to take him back to the vet yesterday as his wound had opened back up. My fault because I had to catch him to put the collar on and when he kicked he kicked hard and pulled it all apart.

Vet said it was a little inflamed and infected so gave him more pain relief and antibiotics.

Tonight I have to force feed him pain relief. I'm not looking forward to it.

He's so upset because he cannot wash himself, so I've got to wash him. He's going to hate me.

On the good side.... He's eating and drinking. He's forgotten where the toilet is, but he is using a blanket, so I'm not mad at him. I just want him better and happy.

Oh dear I'm so sorry to hear that it hit him hard. Just wanted to reassure people how well bunnies can also do though. Dipsy was castrated at beginning of the year, and was a little quiet on journey home, wrapped up in a towel, but once he was home, you would never even have thought he had had an op at all. Eating and pooping well, didn't realise about him initially not jumping up at all, as he was racing about and jumping up onto things as per usual. He had a long lasting pain relief injection, but didn't need anything giving to him at home by myself. Went to check it the next morning, but can you believe couldn't even actually see op site, although could feel it. Had his check up 5 days later and all good.

Oh dear I'm so sorry to hear that it hit him hard. Just wanted to reassure people how well bunnies can also do though. Dipsy was castrated at beginning of the year, and was a little quiet on journey home, wrapped up in a towel, but once he was home, you would never even have thought he had had an op at all. Eating and pooping well, didn't realise about him initially not jumping up at all, as he was racing about and jumping up onto things as per usual. He had a long lasting pain relief injection, but didn't need anything giving to him at home by myself. Went to check it the next morning, but can you believe couldn't even actually see op site, although could feel it. Had his check up 5 days later and all good.

This is good news. My paul was done two months ago and came through in similar style.

Stu's older though.

Poor Stu is having a time of it. Hope he is soon feeling better.

Good luck with the medicating. My Spenser is awful to medicate. You'd thinking I was wielding a red hot poker, not a syringe.

Back