• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spring Grass- a Reminder !!

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
It is meant to be a nice warm Spring Day today and maybe some of your Rabbits will be going out on grass for the first time in a while

Just thought I'd post a reminder about the fact that grass is very rich at this time of year. Rabbits who eat too much of it, especially after not having eaten any for a while, may end up with a nasty tummy ache

I am sure most of you are well aware of this, but I have posted about it anyway :oops:

Good post Jane. :thumb:

People who know don't mind seeing it out there and if anyone didn't know... You could have just saved a life! :p

Def good post. I was looking forward to the first nice day to let my buns out for the first time! I mowed the lawn last week so its short. How long should i let them out for then? One of my bunnies is 13 weeks? x

Def good post. I was looking forward to the first nice day to let my buns out for the first time! I mowed the lawn last week so its short. How long should i let them out for then? One of my bunnies is 13 weeks? x

If they have never eaten grass before I would not let them have more than a few nibbles to start with. You can gradually build the grazing time up over the coming weeks :)

If they have never eaten grass before I would not let them have more than a few nibbles to start with. You can gradually build the grazing time up over the coming weeks :)

Thanks for the advice! The big bun has had some grass before but he dont really like being outside as he just used to have a quick run then go back in the house, but now he has a friend it may make him want to be out a bit more! But def dont want to give them tummy troubles. Esp when so many poor bunnies on here seem to get poorly and go downhill fast makes me paranoid that i may do something wrong and make them ill xx

Good thread. :thumb: Spenser had 20 minutes in his run about this time last year, and had to me rushed to the vet with colic the next morning.:(

He hasn't been out since, but I do intent to let him have a garden romp after the grass has had its first cut.

Thanks for the reminder Jane. I've just moved back in with my mum and dad and the grass here is so much more luscious than in my previous place, the bunnies don't know what to do with themselves when I give them grass time.

thank you, jane.

i don't know about spring - its flippin' freezing here and tabby rabbit had to have the heater on all night because she was looking a bit off and wouldn't eat her tea.

Great reminder.

I have to especially careful with one of mine, Maisy, she is very sensitive to the grass so she literally has a minute or two to start off.

Thank you for this.
I didn't know that about spring grass and was going to let my bunnies out today as it looks like its going to be warm.
I'll make sure to keep them on the less grassy areas :)

thank you, jane.

i don't know about spring - its flippin' freezing here and tabby rabbit had to have the heater on all night because she was looking a bit off and wouldn't eat her tea.

its very windy out there too :shock: leaves where over garden i thought it was autumn :lol:

I've just put the wigglets out for their first spring 'garden time'. However, I've been cutting grass for weeks for them so they're well used to it - but thank you for the reminder Jane :thumb:.

ETA - it's blowing a hoolie though :shock: - given the piggy wigs lots of hidey places to get off the grass and out of the wind. They need it!

Just out of curiosity Jane, but is it just spring grass or is it all year round?

I don't have a garden just a good size yard. I bought some grass seed, soil and a litter tray last year and grew my own and Mo and Bo loved it. Obviously it died during the winter but I've started growing some more for them and hopefully touch wood the weather will improve soon for the little monsters to have the run of the yard again!!! :lol:

This is news to me so as much info would be brilliant. :thumb:

It is meant to be a nice warm Spring Day today and maybe some of your Rabbits will be going out on grass for the first time in a while

Just thought I'd post a reminder about the fact that grass is very rich at this time of year. Rabbits who eat too much of it, especially after not having eaten any for a while, may end up with a nasty tummy ache

I am sure most of you are well aware of this, but I have posted about it anyway :oops:

No I did NOT know this!!!! Thank you x

it's raining here and very windy so no grass for my lot.

bisc and matt are soooo sensitive (especially bisc) that i pick small amounts for them usually a couple of weeks before they go out on the grass! so be extra careful if you have buns with very sensitive tums. :wave:

Back