• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is my Rabbit Eating enough?

jennaheiny

New Kit
I have two almost 1 year old (on May 14th) male Holland lops (Blue tortoise shell) they are in separate cages. I give them fresh water 3-4 times a day and give them a cup or a cup and a half of pellets, I just put hay i got from my friend in there cage (some what like bedding). Is that enough? im afraid that there not eating enough. one lives on the ground and them other lives in a cage. i switch them every other week. just to keep it fair. I just have learned today that they will eat bananas, I didnt give them much may be just a bite or two because I dont know if it is safe or not, can i just give them a fourth of a banana with skin and every thing?? I really appreciate anyone who will help me. thank you.

Hi, welcome to the forum!

The basis of the diet should be hay, supplemented by pellets and veg.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?287263-Feeding-routine

This thread should help you. If your rabbit isn't used to veg it should be introduced very slowly in small amounts, one type at a time, so you can watch that it doesn't cause any stomach upset. I'd never feed banana skin and though a lot of rabbits do eat banana (always in small quantities) personally I'd avoid it - introducing the veg is much more important and as banana is sugary it may easily cause stomach upsets too.

Hopefully others will be along to post soon! :wave:

When you say a cup how big? A rabbit should have round about a eggcup full of pellets aday. If you are feeding more that that then reduce gradually over a period of time:). Then they should have unlimited hay all the time because it should be 80-90% of their diet. You can slowing introduce veg and herbs. Things like banana and other fruit should only be giving as a treat in small amounts as they have lots of super in them. Are your little boys going to be bonded?:D

Back