• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Haunted Hutch ?

Sadly my rabbit Sugar died a few weeks ago . Im not exactly sure what he died from .. I kept him in a large hutch/run which has been empty since he died . I would like to move one of my other rabbits Vinni into it becuse it is realy quite a nice cage ,but I am worried that whatever killed Sugar if it was a disease might still be lingering in the cage ... how long should I wait before moving him in? should I do anything extra to clean it? ( its a wooden cage)

I am sorry for your loss

Did your Rabbit have any known health problems prior to death ?

How old was he ?

Did you have a Post Mortem carried out ?

There are some diseases that can cause Sudden Death and some can mean the environment the Rabbit lived in is contaminated too. This would include any grassed areas, some pathogens can remain viable in the soil for many months.

Personally I would not feel happy about using the cage again given all the unknowns you are dealing with. For example if the Sudden Death was due to VHD (which does now occur in Canada)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22292740

http://ontariorabbits.org/health/vhd

then the cage would definitely be contaminated. Given it's wooden structure ensuring 100% decontamination would be extremely difficult.

In a situation such as yours I would not take the risk and I would dispose of the cage by breaking it up and burning it.

Last edited:
No as far as I know he was heathy as a horse! always full of energy.
I have had him for six years , but I got him as a full grown rabbit.
My rabbits stay outside durring the summer and in the winter I move all of them into our horse barn becuse the cages are too big to have in our house.
When I found him he couldent move his hind legs .. I took him inside and wraped him up in towels and kept him in the bathroom .. he seemed to be getting better towards the third day he was wobbling around and drinking water and eating but then he got worse again and died :(
My dad thought it might have been a stroke ? is that a possibilty?

The cage was pretty close to my other cages and none of my other rabbits got whatever it was .. but i moved i outside just i case.

No I did not , the clinic near us does not do them and i would have to drive about 2 hours to get to one that does and it was a long weekend

Last edited:
No as far as I know he was heathy as a horse! always full of energy.
I have had him for six years , but I got him as a full grown rabbit.
My rabbits stay outside durring the summer and in the winter I move all of them into our horse barn becuse the cages are too big to have in our house.
When I found him he couldent move his hind legs .. I took him inside and wraped him up in towels and kept him in the bathroom .. he seemed to be getting better towards the third day he was wobbling around and drinking water and eating but then he got worse again and died :(
My dad thought it might have been a stroke ? is that a possibilty?

The cage was pretty close to my other cages and none of my other rabbits got whatever it was .. but i moved i outside just i case.

No I did not , the clinic near us does not do them and i would have to drive about 2 hours to get to one that does and it was a long weekend

It may have been Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC)

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...N3ISKU&sig=AHIEtbR1V0Bkgl46nxoM3IZVX7iM5Uaz_Q

But there are other possibilities too, including a stroke. Without a PM it is impossible to know for certain what the cause of his passing was.

I am so very sorry for your loss :(

With regards to the hutch, I would second what Jane has said and burn it as you don't know the cause of death as I personally would not take a chance.

Thanks a bunch for your advice! I will definitaly use it , and keep my eyes open for symptoms of these diseases in my other bunnies! I really hope they don't have what ever he had ! o_o

Back