• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Paint, Skirting Boards?

kazz

Alpha Buck
Whats the best paint for doing a wendyhouse out? It's currently pink and I don't know if the paint is toxic or not, it was for children previously. Will I need to strip the paint before painting it or will I just be able to paint over it with a pet friendly one? Can I get one from B&Q or somewhere cheaper possibly?

And what time of wood is best to use as an extra layer to run around on and for skirting boards?

Many Thanks!

Whats the best paint for doing a wendyhouse out? It's currently pink and I don't know if the paint is toxic or not, it was for children previously. Will I need to strip the paint before painting it or will I just be able to paint over it with a pet friendly one? Can I get one from B&Q or somewhere cheaper possibly?

And what time of wood is best to use as an extra layer to run around on and for skirting boards?

Many Thanks!

With regards to the skirting board, it's kind of up to you. Are your bunnies chewers? Mine aren't. Cuprinol has an unfortunate habit of leaking all over the place when you scrub/mop the lino floor of the shed, so if your bunnies aren't chewers I'd try to avoid that. If they are chewers it's best to stick with a bunny safe paint, but I probably wouldn't bother stripping the paint off. The tiny amounts they ingest should do no harm unless they sit and chew massive areas. If you're really not sure, you could replace the skirting board and paint it all yourself - that'd probably be easier than stripping the paint. Wilkos own garden range is pet safe as far as I know, although you'll want to check the back. Cuprinol is safe when dry too. Mine is the shed paint which leaks, the garden shades ones might not have the same problem.

Do you mean wood to make a shelf type thing? Plywood is the best really. Nice and cheap, and totally safe. Stay away from MDF or any kind of manufactured board as it's unsafe.

With regards to the skirting board, it's kind of up to you. Are your bunnies chewers? Mine aren't. Cuprinol has an unfortunate habit of leaking all over the place when you scrub/mop the lino floor of the shed, so if your bunnies aren't chewers I'd try to avoid that. If they are chewers it's best to stick with a bunny safe paint, but I probably wouldn't bother stripping the paint off. The tiny amounts they ingest should do no harm unless they sit and chew massive areas. If you're really not sure, you could replace the skirting board and paint it all yourself - that'd probably be easier than stripping the paint. Wilkos own garden range is pet safe as far as I know, although you'll want to check the back. Cuprinol is safe when dry too. Mine is the shed paint which leaks, the garden shades ones might not have the same problem.

Do you mean wood to make a shelf type thing? Plywood is the best really. Nice and cheap, and totally safe. Stay away from MDF or any kind of manufactured board as it's unsafe.

Thank you so much for your reply, I was getting worried :lol:

He's not a chewer, only the things he's meant to (apart from lately taking a liking to remote buttons and house plants). But as far as wood goes he's good. If I don't use skirting boards whats another effective way of holding the lino down? Or will it just be okay to sit on top of the wooden floor? I'll check out wilkinsons :thumb: , thank you for the shelf suggestions, now I can get on with buying materials. Would you suggest covering the ramp in a mineral felt or just a fewnotches of wood for him to help climb up? Much appreciated, I'm not very DIY savvy and I wanted to do whats best :)

Back