• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Older rescues

vergo97

Warren Scout
Freddy's run was put up today, so now the only thing left I have to do to have everything he needs is to get him neutered and get a friend.

He should be going to the vets at the beginning of next week because his eyes seem a big weepy, and while we're there I'll ask about getting him neutered, and if they could do it at his age (about 8 ) if they say that it would be fine, I've got some money I could use (£70, not sure if that's enough though?).

Even if I do manage to get him neutered though I dont know if I could get him a friend. She'd have to be around the same age as him and the oldest rabbits I've seen in resce are 3-4 years old locally and 5-6 years old further away and that's still too young.

Are there any old rabbits in rescues?:?

I don't think age is important and would pay more attention to the character of the bunnies and whether they suit each other. A younger bunny isn't necessarily a whirling dirvish and can be very lazy, calm and laid back which would suit an older bunny down to the ground. Flora is ten and was recently paired with a five year old.

I would be happy to get a younger one but I think my dad would want one the same age as Freddy, not one that's going to live longer than him. I'm 15 so might not be at home and able to look after the rabbit/s in a few years time and my dad won't want the commitment of having a young rabbit with their whole life head of them (and who would end up being another single bun)

There aren't many older bunnies in rescues, which I guess is a good thing in a way! The age profile of rabbits in rescue is much more skewed towards younger animals than it is in cat or dog rescues. I agree with Mackers though that age isn't as important as a good personality match, although I do understand why you'd want to get an older bun.

When I was looking for an older companion for Heather (aged 9) last year after her partner died, I found that they got snapped up as soon as they arrived in rescue. I started looking at french lops because giants tend not to live as long, so a giant breed of the same age as a normal breed will in effect be much 'older'...and frenchies tend to be quite gentle soppy bunnies anyway. I ended up with a large lop who was advertised as a french lop but is only about 3.5kg so I don't think he is; 3-4 years old, dopey, soppy and daft as a brush. The pair of them are completely inseparable :love:

If the buns love n bond, I think thats important for them rather than age.

Try Honeybunnys

I would be happy to get a younger one but I think my dad would want one the same age as Freddy, not one that's going to live longer than him. I'm 15 so might not be at home and able to look after the rabbit/s in a few years time and my dad won't want the commitment of having a young rabbit with their whole life head of them (and who would end up being another single bun)

I do appreciate what you're saying but even two old bunnies are unlikely to pass away at the same time. You are always going to end up with one. It may be worth thinking about bringing your elderly bunny indoors to live amongst the family as a single housebun if you're thinking that you don't want any more in the future. Otherwise you'll always end up looking for elderly bunnies to pair with your one remaining bunny.

that is a really sensible point of view. :D

Well, I haven't even asked my dad about it yet, I don't want to seem ungrateful that he has spent a lot of money on the run and patio for it to go on. I'll still ask about neutering at the vets, and if he does get neutered it could just be for the health benefits, not necessarily for getting a friend as well.

I could look into getting a giant, not sure if the accommodation is big enough though (6x4ft shed and 8x4ft run)

I've looked into having him as an indoor rabbit but it isn't possible :wave:

Back