• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are Your Rabbits Good Hay Eaters and How Do you Distribute It?

What Kind of Hay Does Your Rabbit Eat?

• Timothy

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Orchard

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Alfalfa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Botanical

• Fresh Grass

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Bermuda

• Clover

• Oat

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Tall Fescue

• Coastal

• Sudan

• Mix (please specify)

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • None

• Total voters

Snowytoshi

Mama Doe
Thankfully all of my rabbits are, though they are very picky about what kind of hay they get. They no longer like store bought hay (such as Oxbow or Kaytee), but they love the hay bales we get from the farm. There are three boxes of hay downstairs and four in Joshua's room, that they can eat from. Joshua actually likes hay so much that if I give him hay before his vegetables he refuses to eat the veggies :lol:

I'd love to see pictures of how you have your hay set up :wave:

don't have a photo but my outdoor 2 have the IKEA bag rack with both ends covered up, screwed onto the outside legs of their hutch with their litter tray (underbed storage) underneath! They love their hay!

My indoor bun just has her hay on her pen floor :wave:

I can never get pictures to work but Smokey is a good hay eater (so was Inky).

Smokey is an elderly indoor bun these days, so she has hay in the hutch that she uses as a base/toilet/hide-out and then I usually stick some in a cardboard box that she can sit in and munch too.

I usually buy hay from the farm shop but the last bale was a bit dusty (it made both Smokey and I sneeze), so it's being mixed with some dust-extracted Norfolk pastures stuff. Smokey likes posh Oxbow hays too, particularly the botanical one at £7.50 a bag! However, I think if you can't the hay you want at 9 1/2 years old, when can you?

FC if you stick some photos on facebook I can upload them for you :wave:

my two love hay, they don't get a choice about what they eat. It's baled hay or nothing ;) they do get treat hay and dried forage mixed in a few times a week though.

I have 3 hooded litter trays in their room and I just put hay in there :)

i ticked timothy as they have that most of all, though in the morning they do have meadow hay, but they go mad if they don;t get there timothy hay :lol: and yes they eat very very well never stop :thumb:

I usually fill the hay rack, put a handful in their hidey and a handful in their litter tray

They are great hay munchers actually. Feel quite lucky. Pebbles took a lot of persuasion to eat it as he seemed confused as to what to do with it when I first brought him home. Doubt he'd come into much contact with it before hand.

The buns and guineas love Ings hay and that is what they will always chomp down on. They are 'ok' with other stuff like your average meadow or timothy hay but they don't really stuff themselves on it.

They also love stuff like oat hays and redigrass, which is usually a treat hay when I can get it.

My 2 eat Meadow Hay from Asda - they love it! They also occasionally have the hay from Poundstretcher but I don't know what that is.

I simply put the Asda hay into their hay rack and also stuff loo roll tubes with it.

My 2 boys and my m/f pair have been having local pet shop hay and are fine with it. My two new girls have had tesco hay. It looks lovely. Only got them home today. They all get loads of grass, a few veggies and pellets. All ok with hay. Want to get some more exciting ones to see what happens. They all have hay in their litter boxes and in their beds. 4 are indoors (until it warms up) and the two new girls (who are gorgeous) are outdoors and have a bedroom FULL of hay. :wave:

Last edited:
My two have farm baled hay, they have loo rolls, veggie ball, and two childrens' seaside buckets all stuffed with hay. They also have litter trays with newspaper and hay in them :)

my two also have farm baled hay, science selective pellets, occasional brambles and apple twigs.
they have 5 sources of hay in their shed and run. (2 storage boxes full of hay, a cardboard box for digging and 2 sturdy boxes with Hay for hiding inside)

they also get the usual toilet rolls with hay and fenugreek crunchies hidden inside..

my two also have farm baled hay, science selective pellets, occasional brambles and apple twigs.
they have 5 sources of hay in their shed and run. (2 storage boxes full of hay, a cardboard box for digging and 2 sturdy boxes with Hay for hiding inside)

they also get the usual toilet rolls with hay and fenugreek crunchies hidden inside..

I daren't hide anything in the hay in the loo rolls because mine would squabble and they squabble enough without me positively encouraging it! Shame really, as it would be a nice surprise for them. Still; it's their own fault!

Hi, which option should I put in the poll- Ludo has normal hay...just the stuff you buy from a pet supply shop that doesn't say a type on the bag (meadow??)

I feed timothy hay.

I scatter feed them so I just throw hay in their cages. They eat it best that way. I also put a bit on top of their cage so that they can stand up on their hind feet and pull hay down, sorta using the top of the cage as a hay rack (they don't like real hay racks tho).

Mine are picky if their hay is a few hours old, so what I do is I give them each a handful of hay every like 2-4 hours and then at the end of the day I give Timmy and Ben's leftovers to Jack because Timmy and Ben don't like "old" hay and don't like having to pick through the old hay to find the new hay, but Jack doesn't care if the hay is a few hours old.

after trying many different kinds of hay dispensers, i now put the hay in a clean part of the floor (next to water bottles). they have asda's meadow hay, which all four like, but with some added interest (currently mixed, alfalfa king timothy/wilko's dandelion and green oat/friendly readigrass). they also have blocks of hay to sit on/dig in/make nests/make burrows. hay is big in our house. hay is everywhere in our house...:lol:

Back