• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

covered in chicken fat??! No longer ucky :D

Bluesmum

Wise Old Thumper
Stupid mummy forgot to move the tray from the roast chicken yesterday.

Came down this morning and realised marnies fur looked a bit odd. Further inspection of the kitchen showed she has been eating/rolling around in the chicken fat:oops:

She has eaten her breakfast fine and other than grooming herself a lot and seeming a little cross she's her usual self.

Should I take her to the vet, try and wash her or just leave her to it?

I know it's an odd one...but this is marnie afterall :roll:

Last edited:
That is an odd one! :lol:

Not sure what to advise, but I think Id try and wash some off with a flannel and some warm water.

Spoken to vet nurse who has said to try giving her a bath in a warm water and a little washing up liquid as only a detergent will cut through the grease. I justdont really want to use something as harsh as washing uo liquid.

Would baby shampoo work do you think?

Good luck indeed ! Can't imagine either of mine allowing me to wash them .....as they don't even let me pick her up .

Lol omg these silly buns!!! I had to bath Big once after he covered himself in Fizzy drink, it was mental. Please please put a towel in the bath before you put the water in!! :D Stops them slipping evrywhere!

Lol omg these silly buns!!! I had to bath Big once after he covered himself in Fizzy drink, it was mental. Please please put a towel in the bath before you put the water in!! :D Stops them slipping evrywhere!

My bunny likes to knock over my glasses of coke, not so much squash! He tries to drink it off the floor :roll:

Well, the bath went well....she just sat there while I washed her and then rinsed her off. I decided to use baby shampoo as it's not as harsh on her skin and wouldn't sting if it got in her eyes while I was washing her face.

Towel drying also went well.....she let me get the worst off. I then released her and she stamped and flicked her feet (all four of them!)

Decided to try blow drying her with the hair dryer on a low setting. This did NOT go down well. Bless her though...she didn't bite me at all...she just scratched me a lot :roll: :love:

She then weed all over the floor...gave her a couple of crunchies anyway though....shed been so good :love:

She isn't totally dry....but I've put the heating on, so she won't get cold. Will see when she is dry if I managed to get it all off.

ETA at least it wasn't anything toxic this time. A couple of years ago she managed to get covered in washing liquitabs. Had to syringe her charcoal solution as she'd eaten some of it :roll:

Last edited:
We've been out from 11.30-1500.....Marnie isall dry but her fur is still all kind of stuck together and clumpy. It still looks greasyish and she's giving me stinkeye something chronic.

She's still eating and pooing fine....just very cross. Shes stopped grooming herself like crazy too.Is it worth calling the vets again to see if there's anything else I can do? I don't really want to wash her again....I don't want stress induced stasis.

Can you maybe cut the worst of the matts out? I could give you a hand tomorrow if you don't want to do it on your own. I know I did that when one of my cats got something sticky on her fur. Having said that it is probably a bit dodgy having scissors near Marnie although maybe Rosie's bluntish ones would work.

Silly Marnie Moo - that will teach you to eat roast chicken and not share it with her. I know buns aren't meant to eat meat but Marnie probably doesn't know that :)

i use hairdressing scissors on my bunnies, the theory being that good sharp scissors will be more effective and easier to control than poor ones. it has worked well so far but i admit i am very cautious. but, i do trim four underneaths fairly often...

Can you maybe cut the worst of the matts out? I could give you a hand tomorrow if you don't want to do it on your own. I know I did that when one of my cats got something sticky on her fur. Having said that it is probably a bit dodgy having scissors near Marnie although maybe Rosie's bluntish ones would work.

Silly Marnie Moo - that will teach you to eat roast chicken and not share it with her. I know buns aren't meant to eat meat but Marnie probably doesn't know that :)

It's not matted as such...just stuck together. You can comb it through but it clumps again. A bit like greasy hair or wet look gel if you know what I mean.
it's mostly her face and dewlap that are affected....and if I tried cutting the fur off I'd cut her whiskers off too :shock:

I wonder if rubbing talc in and then brushing it out would work? It's one of the main ingredients in Lush's dry shampoo.

Corn flour could be a possibility if you don't have talc? Corn flour can be used to give buns 'dry baths' but not sure how good it is at absorbing grease.

I'd try it on a small patch first though.

Hane you tried something like cornstarch? Not sure if it would be ok for bunnies but it will get grease off clothing. Maybe ok for bunny you put it on dry and guess brush bunny lots may do it x

I wonder if rubbing talc in and then brushing it out would work? It's one of the main ingredients in Lush's dry shampoo.

Corn flour could be a possibility if you don't have talc? Corn flour can be used to give buns 'dry baths' but not sure how good it is at absorbing grease.

I'd try it on a small patch first though.

I'll give the corn flour a try :wave: thanks. Will it be ok when she cleans herself afterwards? Obviously I won't be able to get all the flour off...and most of the uck is on her face/front feet

I would try a bowl of warm water and fairy liquid and clean her with a sponge rather than giving her a bath. If you rub her head at the same time she probably won't even notice you're washing her as the water shouldn't reach her skin.

I would try a bowl of warm water and fairy liquid and clean her with a sponge rather than giving her a bath. If you rub her head at the same time she probably won't even notice you're washing her as the water shouldn't reach her skin.

She's had a bath....and she was fine with it surprisingly. If the cornflour doesn't work I'll try spot batting her again tomorrow.

Problem is that it's her face, dewlap and feet that are affected...so I think she might object....or try eating the sponge :roll:

Honestly she's the most good tempered and tolerant bunny :love:

As she is eating lots of hay just being a little quiet I'm not too worried about stasis or anything

Back