• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Inflammation of fat???!

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone heard of this? When Aidan opened Honey up that's what he found. The lumps he could feel and see on the ultrasound were massively inflamed areas of her body fat :cry: he said it was extensive. He has sent samples of everything away for analysis but it didn't sound like a common thing. She must have been hurting for ages and just not showing it :cry: he doesn't know what could have caused it yet. Her stomach or guts weren't blocked either, which I was very surprised at. He gave the inflammation a name but I can't remember it, something S- itis. I will speak to him again and find out. Does anyone have experience of this?

I found a thread from 2010 in the archives of RU by doing a google search:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?225816-Jelly-like-substance-in-poo

If you just look up inflammation of fat in animals, mostly you see that dogs are affected, but rarely. Having just dealt with system wide inflammation in my Yorkie, I am pretty sure I heard something about the fatty tissues of the body being swollen as well. But her main problem was circulatory system inflammation, due to poor diet.

Vitamin E deficiency seems to be a similar cause, although the condition can be idiopathic (no discernable cause).

My condolences once again on Honey's passing. How are you coping? (((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))) xxxx
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

I Googled Steatitis, and it's bringing up references to fatty liver as well (liver lipidosis) which is fairly well known as a consequence of rabbits not eating for too long a long period of time. So steatitis might not be well known in rabbits but the other condition (which seems to be linked ?) certainly is well known.

Your thread for Honey reminded me very much of Jenzel5's Hayden who was eventually diagnosed with diverticulitis, sounds like a similar condition but the inflammation is of the intestine rather than fat.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ll-u-d-PTS-14-4-10-(&highlight=diverticulitis

Again with diverticulitis it can be linked to poor diet but at Hayden was (I think) born at Fat Fluffs she had a good diet from day one (or from a very early age as she *may* have gone to FF shortly after being weaned). Obviously Honey has been really well looked after same as Hayden so it's just such a shock to find these things ailing them :(

Some cases of Steatitis are Idiopathic (unknown cause)

It can be due to a problem with the pancreas, a metabolic disorder or a 'by product' of an infection (bacterial/viral/fungal). It is very rare and unfortunately it may not be possible to know exactly 'why' :cry:

I totally understand how hopeless that can make you feel. It is how it is for me with regards to Sir Victor's untimely death from a very rare cancer of the spleen :cry: Over 9 months after losing him and I am still asking myself 'why'................. :cry:

(((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))) xx

Some cases of Steatitis are Idiopathic (unknown cause)

It can be due to a problem with the pancreas, a metabolic disorder or a 'by product' of an infection (bacterial/viral/fungal). It is very rare and unfortunately it may not be possible to know exactly 'why' :cry:

I totally understand how hopeless that can make you feel. It is how it is for me with regards to Sir Victor's untimely death from a very rare cancer of the spleen :cry: Over 9 months after losing him and I am still asking myself 'why'................. :cry:
(((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))) xx
Thank you Jane. I only hope it was nothing to do with her spay :( I just keep thinking 'what if's' :( what if I'd taken her to Ashleigh from the day I got her? If it was her spay, he would have done a better job and maybe she wouldn't have even developed the problem? And I should've known something was wrong, she rarely did binkies any more, hardly any for months, I just thought she was bored as I never change their set up due to Ollys disability :( if I had her examined months ago maybe it could've been caught early. As it is, it must've hurt so much in the end that she couldn't eat, then by the time she got to the vet who noticed, she was too weak to survive the anaesthetic :cry:

I just keep thinking 'what if's' :( I should've known something was wrong

Oh my dear, please don't question yourself. This is the nature of bunnies. They are hard-wired to hide their pain. The one thing meant to help them survive can be their biggest downfall. It is nothing we have done or not done. It is nature.
All the information says that steatitis is very rare so it is not likely anything even a vet would be looking for. You can't blame yourself for not seeing something that a professional wouldn't spot right away.

I thought (as did my vet) for months that Mimzy had just been getting more creaky and restless with his spondylosis (diagnosed with early onset arthritis at three years) and that his ears bothering him was wax or mites we couldn't find or his nose trouble was just dust or mold or some other allergen. And it could have been any of these things, but it was early warning signs of EC, I'm pretty certain now. By the time he displayed signs of head tilt it was too late to stop it and now he is permanently tilted. Any difficulties he has from here on out are because I didn't recognize the pattern, I didn't have his anti-inflammatories at a therapeutic level and I could not get him to the vet quickly enough to get abx into him before major damage was done. But I have to remind myself that my vet didn't see it coming either.
I've spent a lot of time beating myself up for all that and while it's a different situation overall from Honey's, it does not make either of us any better to be angry with ourselves for what we either didn't or couldn't see.
I would know a bit better now what he was going through, but still they are just too good at acting like all is 'normal'...or we just think they are getting older, slowing down.

I wish I could give you a huge hug, I know you must be hurting so terribly and I wish I could do something to ease the pain. :cry:

Thank you :cry: she should still be here, it's so unfair :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh my dear, please don't question yourself. This is the nature of bunnies. They are hard-wired to hide their pain. The one thing meant to help them survive can be their biggest downfall. It is nothing we have done or not done. It is nature.
All the information says that steatitis is very rare so it is not likely anything even a vet would be looking for. You can't blame yourself for not seeing something that a professional wouldn't spot right away.

I thought (as did my vet) for months that Mimzy had just been getting more creaky and restless with his spondylosis (diagnosed with early onset arthritis at three years) and that his ears bothering him was wax or mites we couldn't find or his nose trouble was just dust or mold or some other allergen. And it could have been any of these things, but it was early warning signs of EC, I'm pretty certain now. By the time he displayed signs of head tilt it was too late to stop it and now he is permanently tilted. Any difficulties he has from here on out are because I didn't recognize the pattern, I didn't have his anti-inflammatories at a therapeutic level and I could not get him to the vet quickly enough to get abx into him before major damage was done. But I have to remind myself that my vet didn't see it coming either.
I've spent a lot of time beating myself up for all that and while it's a different situation overall from Honey's, it does not make either of us any better to be angry with ourselves for what we either didn't or couldn't see.
I would know a bit better now what he was going through, but still they are just too good at acting like all is 'normal'...or we just think they are getting older, slowing down.

I wish I could give you a huge hug, I know you must be hurting so terribly and I wish I could do something to ease the pain. :cry:

Back